Skimmer for an Easy Set Pool

Jun 27, 2010
Can you sucessfully install a thru the wall above ground skimmer into an Intex Easy Set Pool with the floating ring? I've seen it done with the metal framed pools, but was wondering if it would be more difficult with the sloped sided of an easy set. I remember seeing a guy using an easy set as a Koi Pond and he installed a skimmer on it with a reinforced plastic back plate, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I've tried the skimmer that fitts on the ring, but it cracked and broke the first month. Plus it looks like it may wear a whole in my inflatable ring.

Those that have tried a thru the wall skimmer on the INTEX framed pools - Are you still glad that you made the modification?

Thanks!

Thank you all for your comments. I was just looking at my pool last night and realized that I'd have to place the skimmer below the water line if I installed it on an Easy Set Pool with the Inflatable ring. Didn't think about that.... Think that I will make a support that will attach to a post to hold a Hayward thru the wall skimmer in place. Shouldn't take up more room that the cheap Intex shimmer that hangs on the ring... Also thinking about making the inlet hole larger to accommodate my 2,500 gph pump. Have adapter, but think they restrict it quite a bit.

Next year will try a metal frame pool. They look a bit bigger and my kids wil have outgrown my 15' easy set.

Thanks again. Neat website and helpful info.

Thanks for the welcome! I don't really remember where I saw the pics of the Easy Set Koi pond, but think someone has a webpage or forum devoted to it. Pretty neat how they've adapted them. Some even set up ools in their garage to winter their fish! Neat idea for an indoor swimming pool!

Figure to enlarge the inlet and return opening that I'd place a 2X6 block against the inside of the pool and use a hole saw and a drill on the other side. Then would use the inlet and outlets that came with my 2,500 GPM pump. Figure that the original opening would be the best place to cut a hole since its reinforced.

mfarnell, it sounds like a OK plan to me, but I have no experience with Intex pools. If you can stand to wait, I recommend waiting for someone with more experience to give their opinion. I'd hate to see something bad happen!

Going to make a swing arm bracket out of square steel tubing. Will support from a post, attaching to a pivot point on the post and running a rope from the top of the post to the bracket forming a triangle and allowing the weight of the bracket to hold the skimmer in place. Will then place a 2X6 block on the inside of the pool and use a hole saw to enlarge the current hole for the suction side of the pump. Thinking about plugging the current small return and just attaching it to the post so that it may flow over the pool ring and have a water fountain thing going....

How does that sound for a plan of attack?

To enlarge the hole all I ever did was use a piece of PVC pipe that was the same size as the hole that I wanted as a template and used a new razor knife blade and cut out the hole.
Did not even drain the pool a couple of years ago when I added a 2nd inlet and outlet to my Metal-Framed pool, just had my daughter push a 6x6 block of wood from the inside agaist where I wanted to add the inlet, cut the new hole from the outside. Put fitting in real quick and done!
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comment. That makes me feel a bit better about what I'm trying to do. I found a hole saw from Harbor Freight for cutting soft materials and will use your 6x6 trick with this cutter. Thanks again.

I built a skimmer and drain fixture this weekend out of 1 1/2" PVC for my easy set pool. The skimmer/drain assembly is long enough to support its own weight. Need to make a hanger to support/steady the assembly with a fence post. Have to find 2" to 1 1/2" pump half unions. Decided to plug factory hole and to run hose over the top, which is a safer option, rather than cutting or expanding new holes. Will send pics when completed.

One option you might try for the inflatable ring pools is to get a leaf canister and put it on the outside between the suction hose and the pump. (hose, leaf canister, hose, pump, filter, return) I'm not sure if it needs to stay submerged to work, and you would need to fill it with water before turning the pump on, but it might be worth looking into.

Julieannmims said:
Yes you can. We did it on ours. Love it. It works amazingly! I am so glad we did. It collects everything.
Hey I have a 18' intex metal frame pool,I bought a pro. sand filter and pump and I'm thinking of cuting a skimmer in. Do you think the wide mouth skimmer would work? And what did you do for your return line?

bbhead said:
Julieannmims said:
Yes you can. We did it on ours. Love it. It works amazingly! I am so glad we did. It collects everything.
Hey I have a 18' intex metal frame pool,I bought a pro. sand filter and pump and I'm thinking of cuting a skimmer in. Do you think the wide mouth skimmer would work? And what did you do for your return line?
Welcome bbhead. :wave:
This thread is about the skimmer on an Easy Set pool not the frame pool but will answer your question.
There have been many Intex owners, to include my self, that has put an AGP skimmer on their metal frame pools. The wide mouth skimmer will work with no problems. The one thing you need to remember when you put the skimmer in is to make sure the skimmer is supported from the bottom some how. the walls of the frame pools are not vertical so the skimmer should be supported to match the pool side contour. The picture below shows my skimmer attched to the pool. All the plumbing to the skimmer and fittings keep everything alined with the contour of the pool. My skimmer is supported by the plumbing. hope this helps.

pooldeck35.jpg

:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.