Floating Skimmer + Skimmer Sock -- How?

I am a long time lurker in my first season of owning a pool. To date, with the advice of the forums, maintenance has been a snap. Recently, my FC levels dropped below normal, and we now have green tinted, cloudy water. We are currently working on clearing the water (we have already brushed the sides and added enough liquid chlorine to raise the FC to shock levels). We would like to use a skimmer sock to help filter the water and, hopefully, clear it a bit quicker than filtering alone.

Our skimmer has a floating weir insert (plastic cylinder that bobs up and down). We would like to use a skimmer sock to catch some of the finer debris, but I can't figure out how to use the two at the same time. How do folks do this? Do I need to just remove the floating weir while using the skimmer sock?

Any advice is appreciated. In the meantime, once this storm passes, I will post our levels for additional input.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, there is a basket. If you stretch the sock over the basket, the insert does not float properly (not to mention that when you replace the insert, it takes the sock right off). We have a lot of pollen and other fine debris that I am interested in catching (not to mention, the likelihood of suspended algae).

Otherwise, chemical levels look pretty good (at least to me):

FC: 13
CC: 0
TC: 13
PH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 280
CYA: 50

I plan on adding additional liquid chlorine tonight to bring the FC level up a bit more.

is the bobber for chlorine? if so just take it out and use liquid chlorine or just let it float around the pool. my pool is crystal clear and i still use the socks b/c it gets so much Crud out. even with my pool being clear the sock still gets clogged and i have to clean it off once or twice a day... if your pool is dirty then you will probrolbly have to clean the sock off about 4 times a day or it will restrict the water flow.

No, it's not for chlorine. It is a floarting weir, which looks like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...g+weir&start=40&hl=en&sa=N&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1

The floating weir fits inside of the skimmer basket. There are little tabs protruding from the edges to keep it inside of the basket, and if I put the sock on the basket as well, the tabs either tear the sock or force it off of the basket. Once the sock is on the basket, it sock prevents the weir from floating.

i dont see any problem with removing the weir. as long as you keep the water level up u will be good. once u try it out tell us what u think about them. this is my first year using the socks and they are GREAT!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.