Have a few question about Circupool RJ45 & calcium build-up

Jun 26, 2010
Just bought a Circupool RJ45 2 weeks ago. Fired it up and salt read 5800 ppm, while I know my pool is 3600 ppm since I did a self test. Two days later I looked at the cell (it is clear for those that have not seen it) and there was already a significant build up of white calcium on the plates. Is this normal? I figured since the salt read 2200 ppm over the actual reading something may not be right. Does anyone else have any experience like this? I can't be acid washing my cell every two weeks if I expect it to last into the year! Thanks. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Post a full set of test results and the experts will have a better clue what might be causing the issue. Also tell us how you got the numbers.

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
It sounds like your calcium may be high but the numbers will tell.

Welcome to TFP!

The salt level, and the white coating on the plates are unrelated. For the salt level, give the unit 24 hours and see if it changes it's mind about the salt level. For the white coating on the plates issue, post a full set of water test results so we can advise.

I've also got a Circupool RJ45 installed about 8 days ago. My salt level (as indicated on the controller) read high for the first few days, but has leveled out. (starting readings were 5700 ppm, last 2 days 3400-4100) We've also had significant rain, and prior to that I had to add water due to evap. I think it's reading fairly accurately.
As for the cell, I have absolutely nothining on the cell plates. I also do not have issues with water spotting or otherwise on the pool ladders, etc.
I'd guess your calcium is rather high, which is what the reverse polarity switching on the cell is supposed to 'prevent'.

Thanks for the welcome! Pool readings as follows from Leslie's:

FAC: 3
TAC: 3
Salt: 3600
Calcium hardness: 250
Cyanuric: 30
Tot Alkalinity: 270
PH: 8.0
Cu: 0
Fe: 0
Phos: 300

Brand new cell is caked in white and I just ran it last night. Any more information you need please let me know. I asked people at Leslie's and they recommended I buy ScaleTec and BeauTec, which I did. 80.00 bucks for both. Are they worth it? Will they help the problem?

Your PH is too high and your TA is way way too high. That is what is causing the problems with white stuff coating the cell plates. You need to lower your TA as soon as possible.

ScaleTec and BeauTec can both help prevent scaling, but they need to be added regularly and can get expensive. Lowering TA is the best permanent solution.

Thanks. If this is the best way to stop the calcium scaling, how do I go about doing this? Is this clearly the only problem you think I have, which would cause the horrible scaling I have. Will a gallon of muriatic acid do the trick? Do I need something else? What is the best way to lower TA? I have not added the ScaleTec or the BeauTec as of yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.