can your inground pool be too full?

Jun 27, 2010
My pool has been crystal clear and balanced...it was great at 8pm last night! It is 12 hours later and the water is cloudy. My chlorine, ph and alkalinity are all in the normal/ideal range. We have had a ton of rain...... 3 inches last night for a total of 12 inches in a month. Can your pool be too full? The water level is past the top of the skimmer. The sand filter does not show that it needs backwashed. How can I just drain a couple of inches of water so that it will be about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer? I have never closed the pool, so dont have a clue. Once the water level is back to normal, will the cloudiness disappear?

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Most sand filters have a "waste" position on the valve handle. Pump off, move the handle to "waste" and then turn the pump on. Stop when enough water has been removed from your pool.

Normal water level is roughly 1/2 way up the skimmers.

The water level probably has nothing to do with your cloudiness. "normal/ideal" range sounds like test strips and simply doesn't give enough information to help us find the source of your cloudiness. Can you post a full set of test results?

my chlorine is at 3, ph/acid is 7.6 and alkalinity is 120. Hope that helps. I have the little test tube kit, not the strip. I did use a strip for the calcium and hardness and that was normal. I would be happy to buy that test 100 kit you guys talk about , if my Leslies store has it. I was hoping it was the water level...darn.

Welcome to the forum!

Leslies does not carry the TFT Testkit, but you can order it online at: http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
If you have to go to Leslies make sure you get the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit - but before you do, compare the quantity of the reagents you get for about the same cost (their kit is the same as the Taylor K-2006).
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

The "Pool School" is at the top right corner of each page and lists articles on pool care which will help you get to a trouble free pool.

Hazy water can be caused by a couple of things and to help diagnose it we need to know how you chlorinate your pool and the following levels (a description of each is in the "ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry" article):
FC - Free Chlorine
pH - Acidity/Alkalinity
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid

skinnerfamily4 said:
my chlorine is at 3, ph/acid is 7.6 and alkalinity is 120. Hope that helps. I have the little test tube kit, not the strip. I did use a strip for the calcium and hardness and that was normal. I would be happy to buy that test 100 kit you guys talk about , if my Leslies store has it. I was hoping it was the water level...darn.
Get the TF100 and the speedstir. They are the best investment you will ever make on your pool. A full battery of tests can be done in 10 minutes.

Long as you're draining the pool, use the bottom drain if you can, and brush towards the drain while it's emptying. That way any sediment will get carried away without having to use the vacuum. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.