solving for leaves, berries and safety for a new pool

Jun 25, 2010
Hello,

I am in the process of designing a new pool for my backyard. The current plan is for a 14' x 20' (x 5') rectangular pool situated between a medium size oak and camphor tree. My residence is in Central Florida and I live in a historic district where screen enclosures are not an option. The two tree drop acorns, berries, and leaves at a prodigious rate. We also have a 3 year old and young children who visit regularly so safety is a big concern.

Ideally the solution is push button easy so that there is never a temptation to "put off" putting the safety mechanism back in place.

My first thought was to install a pool cover (like the one from auquamatic), but after researching them, I am not excited about the idea of having to always maintain a pump (with an ugly extension cord) right on top of the cover. If you pay 10k to integrate the cover into the pool, you would think that you wouldn't have this goofy pump sitting out in the middle with an electric cord and pump hose all the time.

Are there other options that anyone would recommend to this problem?

I have considered a rigid cover by Grando offered by Covertech, but haven't been able to get much information on them. I searched this forum and didn't find anything about them.

I also have a French friend who suggested a telescopic low profile cover from a company in France. This is a good idea, but not very attractive in my opinion. I'm sure there are American companies that make a similar product, but I haven't looked yet.

Anyone have any other ideas?

They sell safety pool covers like loop-loc but they are for the wintertime. I'm concerned with tree roots if you are putting a pool underneath it. Would a mesh netting to redirect debris away from pool sound plausible. Take some pics so we can get a better idea.

Don't go with the "default" skimmer, ask for one with the biggest basket available. I have large oaks around the pool and when the leaves and pollen balls fall, they can fill the basket in a matter of a couple hours, blocking water flow to the pump before I get a chance to empty it. This can cause pump damage, so I have to keep an eye on it. Other than during the brief times of the year when this stuff falls, the trees don't cause much trouble, and the shade is welcome.

Here are some pics to give a better idea of what is planned. The pool may end up being just rectangular and not include the extension for the stairs depicted here.

Additionally, I am equally concerned about safety; not just the leaves.

Miranda, thanks for the tip about the skimmer!

X-PertPool, I plan on having the roots of the tree treated by an arborist. My understanding is that an arborist can dig in the affected area and treat any major severed roots. This is supposed to significantly increase the chances of the tree surviving. I'm not sure what you mean by the net (something hanging above the pool?), but aesthetically that doesn't sound like it would be too attractive. Not a bad idea though.

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80
  • wolf_008.jpg
    wolf_008.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 80
lupine86 said:
Here are some pics to give a better idea of what is planned. The pool may end up being just rectangular and not include the extension for the stairs depicted here.

Additionally, I am equally concerned about safety; not just the leaves.

Miranda, thanks for the tip about the skimmer!

X-PertPool, I plan on having the roots of the tree treated by an arborist. My understanding is that an arborist can dig in the affected area and treat any major severed roots. This is supposed to significantly increase the chances of the tree surviving. I'm not sure what you mean by the net (something hanging above the pool?), but aesthetically that doesn't sound like it would be too attractive. Not a bad idea though.

Yeah, I meant something like mosquito netting to channel falling berries away from the pool area installed high above the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.