Pentair iChlor 30
Recent convert to BBB and looking good so far. Reading as follows:

FC 3
CC 0
CYA 30
CH 80
TA 80
pH 7.5

I check pH and FC in the evening, add bleach as required. I shut the filter down before I go to bed and turn it back on in the am. Saturday morning complete chemistry with the TF100. Like many, still a little unsure of the CYA reading, but it's close (need to buy the 50 ppm standard).

Currently have some 3" pucks in a floater (just returned from vacation). Will likely discontinue these after they are fully dissolved (until next vacation).

My question: Since FC decreases during the day, should I be taking my FC reading in the morning and adjusting then or am I OK the way I am doing it now. I remember reading some advice on a forum some time ago, but cannot find it. (By the way - I checked the FC reading this morning and it is just where I expected it to be based upon last night's addition, so little or no overnight loss).

It is best to test and adjust the FC level in the evening, though you can do it in the morning if you want. Adjusting FC in the evening gives the chlorine longer to work before it starts being lost to sunlight.

I test in the morning and evening - it takes little time with the low-level chlorine "sub-kit" in the TF100 and it gives me peace of mind that my pool is not going south on me - (no offense intended to those south of the Mason-Dixon line :)

Hi, Phil,

You are a BBB'r!!! You have a very good understanding of your pool water and your regimen indicates that.

My bet is your water looks pretty darn clear.

Like Jason, I try to dose my chlorine in the evening, but it sometimes interferes with the adult beverage dosing which is a greater priority.

Thanks to all. Yes, the water is crystal clear (according to my wife, who can spot cloudiness quicker than a nephlometer!). I expect it to stay that way and to finally get some real enjoyment out of the pool.

A nephlometer measures opacity or cloudiness of solutions. Used in the pharmaceutical industry (and others, I suppose) to measure for gross impurities.

phildesantis said:
A nephlometer measures opacity or cloudiness of solutions. Used in the pharmaceutical industry (and others, I suppose) to measure for gross impurities.

Yet another reason to come to TFP. My vocabulary improves daily on this site :-D.

I started off testing twice daily (am and pm) until I "leraned" my pool's patterns. I now test every two days and make a chlorine addition daily. I guess it all depends on your comfort level, the stability of your pool, and bather load. Any way you decide to go, as long as you don't fall below the minimum chlorine spec, I figure you are OK!

And, I agree....pool testing can not interfere with adult beverage time. Martinis are much more important than sodium hypochlorite. :cheers:

I personally think doing a FAS DPD test should replace other field sobriety tests. That whole dropping while swirling and counting, and sipping beverage at the same time can be kind of tricky. Sometimes it is best to just wait until morning! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
It is best to test and adjust the FC level in the evening, though you can do it in the morning if you want. Adjusting FC in the evening gives the chlorine longer to work before it starts being lost to sunlight.

I am a new convert to dosing and have not quite figured out the best time and how many times it should be necessary to hand dose per day. To start with I have dosed morning, noonish and before dark. When you are at the optimum test wise i.e. everything in range, how many doses should do the job per day? My situation is full sun and low swimmer load.

Thanks for the help.

NCFlyersFan said:
jcmac - once per day should do the trick. Test your water in the evening, use the pool calculator and aim for the top of the recommended FC levels for your CYA, and make your addition.

Thanks, I am now on the evening dose method. One dose a day is doable.. 3 is not that much fun.

jc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.