Intelliflo VF pump running high

jeeman

Jun 3, 2010
Hi everyone,

15k gal pool, Intelliflo VF pump, and Purex SMBW 4000 series DE filter. I backwashed a couple days ago....

My VF pump is running at 1100 watts to push 16gpm...seems extremely high. The filter is reading about 30 psi. I just backwashed, and I know it couldn't have clogged up already. Any ideas? The filter basket seems fairly full of water with some big bubbles in the lid. It's really loud too...help!

Ok, I backwashed again, filter went to 10psi, pump to 1900 rpm, 16gpm, and 400watts, and I had already bled the filter air until water streamed out. Pump read filter at 0%. After 20 mins, the filter was at 13psi, 2100rpm, 16gpm, and 520watts and 13%. I opened up the filter valve and there was more air that I bled out again. Rpm was back down to 2000, 450watts, and 10psi, and pump said the filter was at 6%.

I don't get why this is happening...could my pool water level be low and air is getting in?

Ugh, another update....

Just checked again...running at 600W, filter shows 15psi, pump shows filter at 26%. I opened the air valve and water shot out, so it's not an air issue. I just don't get this!

It sounds like you are getting air into the system that is causing the pump to sometimes partially lose prime. Check that the lid of the pump strainer basket has a clean seal and is firmly attached. Also look at the skimmers. If there is a vortex in the skimmer basket, it might be drawing in air. Usually a vortex can be eliminated by raising the water level, though occasionally it is caused by a stuck skimmer weir door.

Do you by any chance use a suction cleaner. I'm wondering if maybe something is partially lodged in your suction pipes. Just wondering, not saying that's what's going on.

Is the pump pot basket clean. My VF sometimes complains when there is only a little stuff in the basket and filter pressure is beginning to rise due to filter filling up.

Are you shocking?

My VF is extremely sensitive. If my 80 sq ft filter, starting clean psi 3, raises up 6 psi (to 9 psi), the pump has already started alerting me to backwash, and filter percentage reading at pump is getting near 100%. I use cellulose, which filters finer than DE, and have EXTREME amounts of "cementous" fine dust so I can only get about 7-10 days between filter clean out, using the suction side cleaner 2-4 hours a day.

I could, also, be something going on in the filter. When you backwashed what percentage of DE did you add back to the filter? Using DE (or other media) you don't put full amount in after backwashing because all of the media doesn't come out with a backwash.

Do you know the condition of your filter grids and manifold?

What did the pump normally run at, after backwash and recharge of media, before this issue stared?

gg=alice

One thing to try is running the gpm lower to see what happens. Here's how I do it quickly and easily (I don't have automation so I do all my settings at pump console): In pool data enter a smaller amount for pool volume, say 10K instead of 15 K. That will decrease the flow and may give you an idea if you are trying to run too much volume of water through you suction side ports at pool.

What suction side ports do you have? skimmer(s) drains(s)

Are you sure all of the valves for suction AND pressure (what goes back to pool) are fully open?

Do you have a multi-valve on your filter or push pull? Cause could be there too; maybe not a malfunction but perhaps not in correct positions.

gg=alice

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. GG said to check the grids...well, they were caked with alot of mud and algae. So I pulled them out, hosed them down, cleaned out the filter can, and put it all back together. The results?

175W, 17gpm, 5-8psi. I guess it was a clogged filter.

jeeman said:
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. GG said to check the grids...well, they were caked with alot of mud and algae. So I pulled them out, hosed them down, cleaned out the filter can, and put it all back together. The results?

175W, 17gpm, 5-8psi. I guess it was a clogged filter.

YEA :party: Those pump figures are why we have the VF, right? :-D

I'm so glad you found the problem. My filter clog up happens in ultra fast motion. Seems like it operates in "nano second" time rather than Alice time. With my filter size some people can go months without backwashing. But mine happens in 7-10 days. I think incomplete backwashing is probably the main issue with the Quad filter and that's why they push opening them up to clean rather than backwash.

Anyway, I had a 36 sq ft filter DE, curved grid, for 23 years before getting the Quad DE and VF (both at the same time). It was amazing how much crud didn't backwash out of filter even doing several process of draining, backwash, run, drain, fill , backwash, over and over. And that's before I started using cellulose. After using cellulose in it for a few weeks, with NO ALGAE, but increased dust, I was backwashing every other day.

Your numbers, 175W, 17gpm, 5-8psi, now, are more in line with what several of us VF owners get with clean filters.

Congrats, and stay on top of that wattage use. I figure the filtering media is probably less costly than the electricity costs when the pump is rampping up. If it isn't I'd rather pay for filer media than electricity. :twisted:

gg=alice

alice,

What is funny is that I added 2 cups (16 oz) of DE the next day and the watts went from 175 to 250. I guess the DE causes the filter pressure to rise. Within 10 days, the alert was going off, and I was at 800 W for 17GPM. I washed the filter out with a hose, (backwashing didn't work too well), and now I'm down to 160W. I'm afraid to add DE for fear of getting it up to 250+ watts again.

Jeeman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jeeman, Jason

I'm confused. I looked up the specs for jeeman's filter, and it says (depending on model) that either 4.8 or 6 pounds of DE are required.

But jeeman only added ONE pound. And Jason, you suggested that was a little too much, that 1/2 that amount might be appropriate.

Just curious why so little DE.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry, I had this mixed up with another thread.

jeeman, did you add 2 cups of DE total? That would be way too little DE. Or did you add 2 cups of DE in addition to a normal amount of DE to begin with?

It is absolutely essential that you add at least something close to the standard amount of DE to the filter after cleaning it. Running a DE filter without DE, or with way too little DE, will damage the grids (and not filter at all well).

JasonLion said:
Sorry, I had this mixed up with another thread.

jeeman, did you add 2 cups of DE total? That would be way too little DE. Or did you add 2 cups of DE in addition to a normal amount of DE to begin with?

It is absolutely essential that you add at least something close to the standard amount of DE to the filter after cleaning it. Running a DE filter without DE, or with way too little DE, will damage the grids (and not filter at all well).

Well, I hosed off the grids and then put in those 2 cups (by volume) into the skimmer, so whether that is additional or total, I am not sure....there may have been some DE inside the grids already? If not, then that is total.

Those 2 cups made my VF go from 170W to 250W. It seems my pump has a hard time pumping anything with too much resistance in the return lines.

ride525 said:
jeeman,

Jason's post right above suggested that after hosing off the grids that 2 cups of DE would be way too little. Here are the specs for your filter:

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/4000seriesDS.pdf

It says the 36 square foot model (4036) takes 3.6 pounds of DE, the 48 square foot model (4048) takes 4.8 pounds, and the 60 square foot model (4060) takes 6.0 pounds of DE.

Jeff

Yes, I agree. I just hosed my grids about 4 days ago and didn't add more DE. So just now, I added one cup. Pump at 180W. I added a 2nd cup and the pump is at 183W. I will add a third cup later. Mine is a 48in filter, BTW

jeeman,

Since you have the 48 square foot model, then that's 4.8 pounds of DE, or about 1/5 of a 25 pound bag.

I don't know the size of your "cup" but you suggested above that 2 cups were 16 oz. (is that 16 oz. liquid or weight?). If it's weight, then you would need almost 10 of those "cups".

If it's liquid "8 oz cup", I find that about five liquid measuring cups = one of my one pound DE scoops. So you would need 24 of these 8 oz liquid measuring cups to make your 4.8 pounds of DE.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.