you are going to love this...

bdodds

Dec 28, 2009
Columbia, SC
I have been doing the BBB method for little over a week and have been shocking for a couple of days, pool is so clear, I think its the best since we purchased the house two years ago. Hubby went to return some of the un-open junk we had from the pool store and he said as a cover up for getting his money back he was going to let them check the water which I thought was a good plan so I could see the numbers they got and what I have with the FT100 kit. He goes in the store, does the return and has to wait to have the water check because the man in front of him had "bad water" Hubby said the guys bill was over $300 with all the banish and junk they sold the guy. They check our water and the girl tells him, you need nothing this has been the best reading so far today. Hubby and the guy with the bad water start to talking and he ask him how come he was not as lucky. When they walked out the store husband tells him he does not know all I do but he knows its with BLEACH!! Then guy gets Ray to call me so he can have the website and to know what I am doing :party: After I told him he said he was going to check out the site and would be returning the stuff he just purchased!! :lol: I wish someone had told me before now but I am on a mission to tell everyone I know that has a pool! Thanks everyone for all the help and for answering all my crazy question when I am confused.
Betsy

PS: The pool store numbers today was very close to what I had with my kit.

I've actually waited for a woman to come out of the pool store to "enlighten" her. We were having our water tested at the same time (pre TF100) and I couldn't believe the Crud they wanted her to do based on her numbers. Too many folks think the pool store is the guru, and what we do is voodoo!

What state do you guys live in where they will take returns on chemicals? I have tried in NJ after switching to BBB and was told that by law they could not take back even unopened chemicals. I have not checked the law books but was wondering if this were just another pool store fraud.

I am in NJ and I returned a bucket of Wal-Mart HTH pucks this Spring (used only for travel periods) because I freaked when I saw the copper algaecide content. The girl at service desk never hesitated, even though she clearly had no idea what I was talking about.

First and foremost - Welcome Lynns!

I'm from NJ and I always like to help my fellow Garden Staters!

Here in Ct., there are NO returns on pool chems :hammer:

I guess if you're cute enough, you can 'force' the issue but, by law. chems can't be returned :|

Thanks "waste"! Not to hijack this thread but I wish I'd have found this site while I was still in the installation stages. Nothing but problems with the pool builder. Could've used some of the expert advice I've been reading. Especially from fellow Jersey folks! :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny! I went into a Jersey pool store today in search of borate test strips today. After the counter guy had to ask the store "expert" they both turned to me and never heard of the stuff. After throwing a few way off guesses out there they asked me to explain what I was talking about and why I wanted to test it. I gave them the best explanation I could (I'm still a noob) and said "thanks anyway" on my departure. I never felt so good, or superior either. :mrgreen: Thanks for all the advice and may the good stuff keep coming.

In California, no returns on pool chemicals, even unopened. One time I bought the wrong thing and realized it as I was walking out the door and then quickly turned around to return/exchange it and they let me do that, but explained that they really weren't supposed to.

ShockerLU3 said:
Funny! I went into a Jersey pool store today in search of borate test strips today. After the counter guy had to ask the store "expert" they both turned to me and never heard of the stuff. After throwing a few way off guesses out there they asked me to explain what I was talking about and why I wanted to test it. I gave them the best explanation I could (I'm still a noob) and said "thanks anyway" on my departure. I never felt so good, or superior either. :mrgreen: Thanks for all the advice and may the good stuff keep coming.
Even more ironic on this vein...
Several pool chemical companies have a borate or boric acid product to improve clarity, water feel, etc....and I'm sure they'd be all so happy to recommend it to a customer, yet, have no idea what it is. Pool Season and Bioguard are two I know of. It might be fun to go to the chemical company's website which they distribute and see what they have along that line. Then ask about that product and see what they say...

I have nothing else to do but think of ways to get a laugh from the pool store... :mrgreen:

bdodds said:
Hubby said the guys bill was over $300 with all the banish and junk they sold the guy.

Every time I go to the LPS to pick up an o-ring or other part, I feel bad for the people buying all the junk. I not-so-fondly remember those days and wonder how many cool toys (like SWG, solar cover reel, variable speed pump, and probably more) I could have bought with all of that money I wasted.....

The other thing that amazes me is when you talk to some of them about how to take control of their pool they politely laugh you off and continue to run the visa card through the card reader......

I feel the same way, I bet we could have paid for another liner and then some because we have a ton of that junk still in the pool shed but yet our pool has never looked so clear and pretty as it does now thanks to finding TFP and doing the "BBB" :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.