May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We put up our pool recently and it has been just a terrific experience! My husband takes care of the vacuuming/pump/filter issues and I take care of the chemistry. I started off buying an HTH 6 way (cl, pH, TA, CH, CYA, Bromine) at Walmart and it seems to keep me in the know. I prefer testing 2x/day. I have a vinyl pool and have only been using the pH, Cl, TA, CYA tests) The pool seems to be well blanced and crystal clear (except for today but there was a higher bather load than normal, lots of sunscreen, and the filter needed changing). Anyway it got me thinking that it would be a good idea to check the CC and CYA about now.

I usually try to keep my Cl at 6 (because my CYA is 45'ish). It never goes down below 4. I usually add my 10% chlorine at night before closing the pool up.
My TA is slowly coming down. It is now 130 and pH is 7.6. I will try one more go round with MA and I am hoping it will be just right. (It has been a 4 week process.)

BUT, I can't do it with the HTH kit! Arggh! I am out of CYA reagent (I did one too early playing chemist) and there is nothing in the kit for CC. Any alternatives for now besides the Taylor Kits which will have to wait until next summer?

Thanks for all the great advice. The pool water is my new baby and I want to keep her (us, too) healthy.

Do I sense a new case of sparklypoolitis? :)

You can purchase replacement reagent for the CYA test fairly inexpensively, it is Taylor number R-0013, also called Cyanuric Acid Reagent. For testing CC levels I suggest the FAS-DPD chlorine test. It is also available separately. You can purchase both of those from TFTestKits.Net, or any of several other vendors in the Internet. Occasionally pool stores carry them, but that varies quite a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.