Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ph increase

1. Back To Top    #1

ph increase

Well here I am with yet another question.
    My ph is up to at least 8.2 over a period of a week. I was away for a bit and had someone adding a little bleach each night for me, so I'm not sure when exactly it happened. pH was 7.4 when I left.
    My alkalinity has dropped from 100 to 80 but over a more gradual period of time. My FC is at 5.
    I've added some pH decreaser (something left over) tonight and I'll check it again in the morning but because I can't tell exactly what's in this product I'm not sure how much of a drop I should expect...trial and error 'til I move on to the muriatic acid. I guess I'm more interested in learning why this would happen.
    Can anyone help me with this please?
    Thanks
    [color=#0000BF]16x32 inground vinyl liner approx 23 000 gallons
    22" cyclone sand filter, 1 HP pump
    solar cover, solar heating panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    PH can go up for a number of reasons. The most common is CO2 outgassing caused by aeration of the pool (rain, kids playing, SWG, waterfall, spa, etc). Blown in dust can sometimes be fairly basic, raising the PH. New plaster will raise the PH for several months to a year.

If you compensate for PH increases from CO2 outgassing by adding acid reguarly, the TA will go down over time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hardly any rain lately...very dry right now, no kids, no SWG, no waterfall/spa or fancy things I dream of owning No plaster and no reason for there to have been much dust. My returns do aerate a little I guess, but they're not doing anything that they haven't been doing for the rest of the summer, so I guess it's still a mystery.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    There is only one more I can think of right now. If your FC level is above 10 the PH test can read higher than the actual PH. Other than that I'm stumped.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Nope...if anything I had to panic for a moment when I got home and the level was lower than it should have been...when I took that reading the FC was actually at about 2.
    I remain stumped too
    Thanks or the suggestions though...I've learned something anyway.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

If your pH Decreaser is dry acid crystals (sodium bisulfate), then one pound of these crystals is equivalent to about 12 fluid ounces of Muriatic Acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes that's what it was...thank you for the conversion
    Taylor K-2006 test kit