salt level Question Sorry long post.

mstan

Oct 4, 2007
Nashville, TN
Hi everyone:

We bought a pool with a house attached almost four years ago. I had never cared for a pool and was pretty uncomfortable with my ability to care for it. I did have some understanding of testing water from keeping fish but that is far different from pool care. A friend with a chemistry background pointed me here and I have gone from feeling like a victim to a happy BBBer. Thanks much for all the expertise and experience you folks have shared, it has made all the difference.

I used the liquidator for the past two years and am in the process of converting to a swg this weekend. Last weekend I began raising the CYA level and added salt, and I seem to have overshot the mark on the salt. I used test strips from duraligh, although I have let them get out of date so I asked my wife to run by the pool store and double check my numbers, we will see what they say. The pool is a liner pool 33,000 gal. I tested before adding salt and got 540 ppm. I added 800 lb water softener salt and am now reading 5700 ppm, was my math off?

Finally a question! I am installing a compupool chlorinater rated for 60,000 gal (2.5lb/day). They recommend 3500 ppm but say the unit will work at higher levels but don't specify the limits. I have read some posts here indicating 5000 ppm is usual in Australia. Do I need to lower my salt all the way to 3500 ppm? If so how much water do I need to pump out to get close?

Edited: Pool store says I am at 3400 ppm, is there a better test I can order that would be more accurate than the strips?

What are the dimensions of your pool? It is possible the gallons are overestimated or the initial test was wrong. I plugged the numbers into the pool calculator and came up with 830 pounds of salt to raise from 540 to 3500. To reduce from 5700 to 3500 you will need to replace 30% of your water.

If you were using a liquidator for the last 2 years, every gallon of 6% bleach added 3ppm of salt. 10% liquid chlorine adds 4.9 ppm and 12.5% adds 6.1ppm of salt.

Thanks for the the quick answers. The pool is L shaped, off the top of my head it is 40x22 with a 17 ft el, 3.5ft in shallow end and 8.5 deep end. I think 33,500 is what we calculated and I find the pool calculator to be quite accurate so I think we are close. As the electronic tester at the pool store showed 3480 ppm salt, maybe my test strips are just old, I will order a salt drop test as you folks have reinforced my natural tendency towards being independent. I forgot to add that I had a leak at the light so I lost a lot of water over the winter (fixed now). That may explain why I read so little salt before I added it last weekend.
I have the control unit installed and wired and I am going to go ahead and install the cell and we will see what happens. Can't wait to quit recycling bleach bottles. By the we love the salt in the water, feels great and very easy on the eyes. My PH tends to stay at 7.8 so I may look at adding borates to help manage the frequency of acid addition. Anything else anyone might suggest? You folks are great!

Another question for you. Given the information above what % should I start the unit off at. For now I am running the pump 24/7, although I have installed a timer and at some point will probably cut that to 12 hrs to save electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.