Need help buying the right pool for well water

Jun 26, 2010
Hello all!
I need help buying a new pool and have lots or iron in my well water. I was using baquacil but was wondering what advise to use, if any, than this since I was having pink slime issues and the pool store told me since I live in the country and have lots of trees to switch to something stronger. My kids are outgrowing the 24' Intex pool I have and now I am debating on buying a new 27' pool from somewhere on the internet or local Dough Boy pool store.

My question is:
Would this Nature 2 work using a non chlorine base shock work best for well water with high iron content?
I read somewhere the ozonator is really not that good and I would still need to add chlorine?
What pool is a good brand? Should I buy resign or an aluminum pool?

Any input from someone with experience with iron in their water is more than welcome to share ideas with me. Thanks in advance all!!

Resin or Aluminum is fine - if you can filter out the iron or have the water trucked in, that would help. Otherwise metal sequesterant can aid in dealing with the iron situation.

You do not want an ozonater or a Nature 2. If you were dissatisifed with Baq, just experience an N2. Here is a helpful start:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Sunlight does the same thing as Ozone, for free :wink: the small benefits don't justify the expense for a residential outdoor pool.

Chlorine is all you need. It has gotten a bad rap - many of the misconceptions about chlorine have nothing to do with the chlorine itself.

Read Pool School - scan the forum for articles - you'll see what I mean.

Whatever you decide to purchase, we can help you achieve a Trouble Free Pool, and save you a ton of money in the process. :goodjob:

Thanks for the info on sanitizers.
Well, I am leaning toward no pool at all now for some reason. I did buy some Metal out but once I shocked the pool it turned brown. My local neighbor has a pool and after talking with him he is going to somehow pump are lake water into his 28' pool and back down into the lake. He also gave up on the brown water issue 2-years after getting his pool. Seems easier to just go swim in the lake to me but oh well.

I can't stand the brown water in my pool from my salt system and seems like I need to convert back to the Softswim fix. I might check on having water shipped in. I do have a friend on the fire dept and they have a tanker. Hmmm. Anyways, my sand filter has been running non stop for a week now with white tube socks and white towel in the strainer basket. I was hoping their was something for us well owners with iron. Thanks.

If you have a lake available, that's the way to go to fill the pool. It will be full of algae and some sediment, but chlorine and your filter can easily clean that up. Far better than dealing with the iron.

We also have a very high iron content in our well water. Don't let that be a deterrent from not getting a pool. Big deal! Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all about running your pump 24/7 until it clears up. When we filled ours it looked like I filled it straight from the river. It was brownish/green and you could not see 2 feet down. As frustratedpoolmom said, get a metal sequesterant, $11 or $12 from the pool store and dump a quart in. It'll be just about the only thing you'll go to the pool store for if you follow the BBB methodology. After about 3 or 4 days of running your pump straight, the metals fall to the bottom waiting for you to vaccum up. A little brushing of the walls and floor and you'll have your sparkling oasis. A weekly maintenance dose of the metal sequesterant may be in order after you get the water where it should be.

My water is terrible with iron, (as in turns orange in 5 minutes) so I used my water softener. It took a few days to fill the pool, but was worth it to me. I filled for about 4 hours, then recharged the softener for 2 hours, which gave the well pump a rest. (If you have a softener, you can calculate how often you need to stop filling to recharge, or you can just test the output water for hardness every 30 minutes or so until you get an idea).

I still ended up with a fair amount of iron in the pool (sometimes I let it run past 4 hours, or supplemented with the hard water hose) The filter took care of that iron with no need for vacuuming or additives/sequesterants, etc. I had brown backwash for a few days. Some folks have a terrible time getting the iron to filter out, but I have zeolite in my sand filter. I suspect that made a difference, so I think zeolite is worth the investment if you have alot of iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.