Have I got A LOT to learn!

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate New York
Hello from Upstate NY! So glad I found this site--have been a pool owner for three years, and apparently, I have done next to NOTHING correctly! Have a broken gauge to replace (although once I do, I have no idea what it's supposed to read), a good test kit to buy, and am in the market for an auto cleaner. Anyone know the difference between the Kreepy Krauly and the Kreepy Kruiser? Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I am going to find here!!!

Welcome to TFP! I don't have either of those cleaners, but it looks like the kruiser is an updated krawler. Both are suction side vacuums. Hopefully someone with some experience using one will chime in soon.

Welcome. You will be amazed at how fast you can pick up all this stuff. Everyone here is really nice and helpful.

Like zea3, I have no experience with that cleaner but if you post that question in the equipment section you will attract some attention from someone who can help.

I will strongly recommend the TF100 as a test kit, most of us here use that and have found it to be a good value, great service, and since most of us use that - all your questions can be answered easily here.

anonapersona said:
I will strongly recommend the TF100 as a test kit, most of us here use that and have found it to be a good value, great service, and since most of us use that - all your questions can be answered easily here.

Did you pick that up at your local pool store or did you grab it online? I really want this pool looking good. Right now, it looks, well, blah. At any rate, I have been reading up on cleaners that people like, and frankly, I haven't seen much on the kraulys except that people replaced them... I will definitely post on that board, but I am wondering if I need to save up a bit and get the new Polaris...

Thanks to both of you for directing me!

cfroehl1 said:
Did you pick that up at your local pool store or did you grab it online? I really want this pool looking good. Right now, it looks, well, blah. At any rate, I have been reading up on cleaners that people like, and frankly, I haven't seen much on the kraulys except that people replaced them... I will definitely post on that board, but I am wondering if I need to save up a bit and get the new Polaris...

Thanks to both of you for directing me!

Online, here. http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

I have the Polaris 380, apparently the prior owner of this house and pool initially had a 260 then upgraded to this one after a few years. It does a good job, I run it on a timer maybe 3 times a day for an hour or 2 each time. We get lots of leaves here in The Woodlands! I have named it Bad Dog, since it can get stuck on the rough rock coping and the waterfall when it flips its tail out of the water and when that happens it will spray water. I guess I need to adjust the tail to be a bit less vigorous but I have not yet. It does run though tires and tail scrubbers pretty fast and so I've found an online site with good prices so I don't stress over that too much anymore.

Thank you, Anonapersona. I ordered the kit and should have it in a few days. Thinking about trying BBB. At this point, I don't have anything to lose, really... I also see what appears to be a good deal on the Polars 360 on ebay. Need to look into the dedicated pressure line and see if I actually have that? I may be showing my ignorance with that last statement...

I suggest that you read the Pool School section and print as needed. Start a Pool Book, add those sections you printed and any notes you need regarding things you learn here (how to clean your filter, how to shock your pool, how to do a particular test). Also start a log of pool tests. The one on the TF100 is good but when erased all that info is gone. I made a spreadsheet with all that test info plus what I added and what the goal was for that addition, plus notes on time of day or weather or whatever. I also keep phone numbers of all local sources of chemicals or equipment, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, pool stores.