Monitor is not going into sleep mode

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
For some strange reason my computer will not let the monitor go into sleep mode. Any suggestions? Also automatic updates will not install. I've tried several times, but they will not install. The strange thing is the update file size is 0 KB. Anybody else having problems with updates?
Thanks

What operating system are you running?

My initial thought is a virus has made a few changes to your registry. Download Malwarebytes, install it and run it on the computer and see what it finds.

On the sleep mode, make sure in power setting in control panel, you do not have it set to on all the time. I have problems with updates as well sometimes. Try to google the update and sometimes you will have to donwload the update from the microsoft download center and it will be a file and install that way.

First, XP does not have sleep mode as Vista does but it does have standby which is nearly the same. Second, XP is notorious for having problems with standby. Just google XP and Standby and you will see many posts on this. My wife has a laptop with XP that will only go into standby about half the time. Several programs seem to keep it awake. After reboot and login, it will go into standby but if she runs any programs, it will then refuse to go into standby. Note too that the monitor will not go into standby unless the computer goes into standby. Try a reboot and login without running any programs and see if it will go into standby. However, no matter what I have tried, it never seems to fix this problem.

Also, the problem with Windows update can sometimes be fixed by deleting the Windows Update Cache here: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Windows should then redownload the files that it needs.

You can also run a system file scan using "Start" -> "RUN" -> SFC /SCANNOW

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.