JUST GOT MY TF-100 !! Here are my results!

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
Hi All, I received my TF-100 about an hour and a half ago. It was really fun doing the tests...something I am sure I am going to enjoy! Here are my results...tell me what ya think.
CL= 5ppm
FC= 7ppm
CC= 1....it rained last night and this evening
PH= 7.5
TA= 110
CH= 200
CYA= 80 :( CYA Higher than what I had hoped, but I have lost some water due to evaporation so I will be adding more
Water Temp is 90.

Can you clarify your results please? Specifically the chlorine readings...TC=FC+CC so yours don't add up. If FC=7 and CC=1 then TC=8. I just want to be sure you understand the tests you are doing and are getting accurate results.

The FC test is where you use 10ml of pool water, add the powder, it turns pink. Add the drops until it turns clear and your result is divided by 2 for the FC. Then you add 5 drops of the yellow capped reagent. If the water turns pink, then you have CCs. Add the first drops until the water goes back clear, divide by 2 and that is your CC number.

Please do not add any CYA/stabilizer/conditioner/trichlor/dichlor. Your CYA is already high (unless you have a SWG). Follow the CYA/chlorine chart for your target FC amount and the minimum not to fall below as well as shock value.

Post back edited results of the chlorine tests. If that CC is accurate, you might enjoy a trip to the store for LOTS of bleach or liquid shock from the pool store. Thanks. :goodjob:

Something is not quite right with your chlorine numbers. See if this helps (from The Pool Calculator):

Total chlorine is the sum of FC plus CC. Inexpensive chlorine tests, such as the common OTO test, which shows TC as different shades of yellow, measure TC because it is easier to test for than FC and CC. In normal operation TC can be used as if it was FC because CC is usually zero. However when you have algae or some other problems, CC levels can be significant and TC becomes useless.

I didn't understand exactly how to record it but yes the TC would be 8. I filled to the 10ml line, added 1 heaping scoop of powder and it turned pink. Then I addedone drop at a time of R-871 solution and it took 14 drops to turn clear again, multiplied x .5 = 7....then I added 5 drops of R-003 and swirled. It did not remain clear..just a hint of pink. I proceeded to add and count the drops of the R-0871 solution and it took 2 drops to turn back clear. Then add FC of 7 to CC of 1 = 8
Is this correct?
And sorry...the 5ppm on the Chlorine came from the OTO drop kit.
Did I do something Wrong?
Sorry I said said I added 7 drops...I added 14 drops to turn it clear again.

Tbell said:
I didn't understand exactly how to record it but yes the TC would be 8. I filled to the 10ml line, added 1 heaping scoop of powder and it turned pink. Then I addedone drop at a time of R-871 solution and it took 14 drops to turn clear again, multiplied x .5 = 7....then I added 5 drops of R-003 and swirled. It did not remain clear..just a hint of pink. I proceeded to add and count the drops of the R-0871 solution and it took 2 drops to turn back clear. Then add FC of 7 to CC of 1 = 8
Is this correct?
And sorry...the 5ppm on the Chlorine came from the OTO drop kit.
Did I do something Wrong?
Sorry I said said I added 7 drops...I added 14 drops to turn it clear again.
Nope, sounds like you did it right. The OTO is just a general idea and isn't as specific as the FASDPD. You're doing fine.

But looks like you need to shock. If it takes more than one drop to clear after adding the R003, you've got organics.
Please read How to Shock Your Pool in pool school. Shocking is a process and can take several days. You are at a crossroads. With a CYA of 80 your shock level is 31..if you drain part of your pool and decrease CYA to 40 or 50, your shock levels would be 16 to 20 respectively. 80 is workable and there are some who are dealing with that level, but shocking will be tougher at that level.

Rain can put air pollutants in the water, and depending on the composition in your area can affect ph slightly, but likely you have some organics in there be they algae, bather waste, etc.

I had crystal clear water and no CCs last time I had to shock because my overnight loss went to 1.5 or 2. So, yes, something is likely there. With your CYA at 80 your FC minimum is 6 and your target should be 9 each evening so if you've dropped below 6 for any length of time, things can start to take hold.

poolgirl22 said:
simicrintz said:
OOPS! I didn't see poolgirls' post :oops: Sorry!
No worries...I'll let it go... :mrgreen: especially since Sal was so great to call me today and answered my questions so thoroughly.
Wish we had a place as professional and knowledgeable out here!

Yeah, I was taking the upgrade on my iPhone when you called, so I didn't get the call-didn't think Sal would ever let me hear the end of it :shock:

Glad to hear he took good care of you though. Guess I'll keep him around a little while longer........ :cool:

simicrintz said:
poolgirl22 said:
simicrintz said:
OOPS! I didn't see poolgirls' post :oops: Sorry!
No worries...I'll let it go... :mrgreen: especially since Sal was so great to call me today and answered my questions so thoroughly.
Wish we had a place as professional and knowledgeable out here!

Yeah, I was taking the upgrade on my iPhone when you called, so I didn't get the call-didn't think Sal would ever let me hear the end of it :shock:

Glad to hear he took good care of you though. Guess I'll keep him around a little while longer........ :cool:

Yah, my friends always draw straws to see who has to return my calls... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
uughhhh! I have only had the pool opened for 12 days and it was a pond the day I took the cover off. So there could still be a trace of algae. I thought I had already shocked it kept it high for 3 days but that was according to 6 way test strips from Walmart! Accordong to the pool calculator with a CYA level of 80 I need to get it up to 21 to shock....YUK! I only have 4 jugs left. And I knew the CYA level was a little high as I just drained half the pool because of it! I will be adding more water soon and hope I can bring it on down without having to drain again. I know it's going to take more bleach. I had taken a sample to the pool store and the CYA tested 184! !!! :x Thanks

Pool Calculator shock value will work as well. CYA chart a bit more aggressive and will likely work faster. Whichever you choose is fine.

The key here is to remember that shocking isn't a few additions and it's done because we want it to be. It's done when it's done according to the guidelines set forth.

Once you've properly shocked, then you maintain your FC values according to your CYA level, you'll have less FC consumption overall and a healthy pool. Again, no dichlor, no trichlor, just liquid. Buy a cart full.

Oh, I am done with trichlor and dichlor and cheap test strips. It was because of those telling me my CYA was too low that I added an additional 18 lbs. of stabilizer! Yeah, I know! :( I have added 22 jugs of bleach to that darn pool in the last 3 days! LOL! I will go get more tomorrow. I had all the kids in there yesterday and they stayed in for over 4 hours. That's where the CC came from probably. LOL! I didn't see the pool calculator shock number. I was looking at the CYA shock level...I thought that was the only one. Sorry...I'm getting old.

To me it sounds like you are on the border of 0.5 and 1ppm CC...how does the water look? Is it clear...if so, just bump up your FC a bit (let's say 15 if your CYA is 80) and see if the cc's come down by tomorrow night...if not, then do the overnight FC loss test. If your CYA is 80 and you bump FC to 15, it will still be more than safe for the kiddies to swim around and let the sunlight go to work on those CC's for you.

Thanks dmanb2b, I will run out there and add some more bleach before I go to bed. Just added a jug a few mins. ago. My water is sparkling clear ...just beautiful! I will try that. Thank You...all of you for your help.

Bumped my FC up last night before I went to bed and tested again this morning. My CC level is below .5 now. I added one drop and the water turned back clear but I think a half of a drop would have done it. I had to hold the tube in front of the light to even see any pink. LOL! So now my readings are:
TC=17
PH=7.5
TA= 110
CYA= 80
CH=200
Is that TA reading okay for Vinyl?

Awesome...sometimes a little boost is all it needs. Looks like you'll be swimming...gonna be a scorcher today here!
Just bump your FC to the higher target each evening and never get below the minimum and you should be good to go. Right now the 17 will drift down over today.

On the TA...mine's sitting at 100-110. I brought it down from 300+. I fight high TA as my fill water is high but right now I'm aerating to cool water which raises Ph, so I'll be adding acid and the TA will come down a bit... Others may have more solid answers but I wouldn't worry about it unless you see significant ph drift upwards. It should come down over time on its own.

Great! Thanks poolgirl22...Unfortunately it looks like it is going to storm again! I still haven't been in my pool...I have worked my butt off on it and haven't enjoyed yet. Was gonna take a night swim the last 2 nights and it rained.
I hope you get your TA down...how about CH of 200? will that be okay? The only metal in my pool is the rails on the wedding cake steps. Should I worry about that?

Tbell said:
Great! Thanks poolgirl22...Unfortunately it looks like it is going to storm again! I still haven't been in my pool...I have worked my butt off on it and haven't enjoyed yet. Was gonna take a night swim the last 2 nights and it rained.
I hope you get your TA down...how about CH of 200? will that be okay? The only metal in my pool is the rails on the wedding cake steps. Should I worry about that?
The general consensus around here is CH doesn't really apply on vinyl. I'd kill for 200!!! My fill is over 300. I don't know about the metal on the steps, but someone else will.

That TA will come down for me...the constant adding of acid to compensate for the aeration will do the trick. As it is, without aeration my ph holds around 7.5 most of the time.

If it isn't raining...take a dip!!!

:cheers: I'm off to add some more salt to my pool...via the margarita glass!

My kids are swimming now...I like to get in by myself when there isn't so much splashing, water gun squirting and getting knocked off the float! LOL! Today is mine and Hubby's Anniversary and he is having to work! I hope it doesn't rain tonight and maybe we can have a romantic night in the pool. Have fun in yours and thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it! Tomorrow is exactly 2 weeks since we opened our pool and saw that it was actually a tadpole inhibited pond. So I think I have done pretty good with all of your help getting it all sparkly clear. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.