20 Mule Team Borax Store Locator

nazman

Nov 29, 2009
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi Everybody, I've been around your forum for awhile now reading up on proper pool cleaning, I live in Los Angeles and have had trouble finding 20 Mule Team Borax. I checked my local CVS and Walgreens and they didn't have it, but I found a site that locates the product for you, http://www.henkelna.com/henkel-store-locator-9949.htm: you select Laundry Care under brand, and then the product and enter your zip code and it shows you the local retailers that carry it. I thought I'd share it for anyone having trouble locating the product. :thumleft:

Keep in mind that they show stores that carry borax at all, which isn't the same thing as stores that keep it in stock. Around here most of the regular grocery stores get some borax in twice a year, but are normally out of stock. All of them were listed when I tried that site.

Be advised BORAX has changed packaging to a white box with green trim. Very different and easy to overlook at the store. Love BBB. In 7 years my pool has NEVER looked better or cost less $$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 Lb box at TARGET was $2.99. I have found a little goes a long way.

:shock: That's a good thing to keep in mind Jason, but at least it stops me from checking a store that never stocks it because it only shows, Ralphs, Albertsons (Gorcery Stores), and a KMart for me :( , but doesn't show Target, CVS, or Walgreens, but I think I'll find it. Thanks for the help guys, the BBB Method ROCKS! :cheers:

For folks in Canada, the store locator doesn't work. I got a few pieces of information using Google, but then my phone calls and walking in store did not match. Here's info that might help others. I'm in Quebec, the Montreal region (south shore to be precise). Prices in CAD$ of course... YMMV.

- Wal-Mart does not carry Borax anymore. I asked a manager and she said the product disappeared a few months back and the "code" used for ordering it is no longer available.

- Zellers has it! It is a regular product, meaning a stock depletion will trigger a re-order. The 4 stores around my house have between 3 and 10 boxes. 5.49$+tx for 2Kg. $2.75/Kg My best price. :)

- JLemieux (bio cleaning products shop) has 25Kg bags for 97$+tx. That's 3.88$/Kg, 40% more expensive than Zellers, but they usually have at least one bag in store and can transfer quantities rapidly from a different store. They have many smaller sizes too.

- Simco. (http://www.simcoqc.com) a local chemical distributor providing various products in various quantities (from liters to truckload size!). They are close to my home and can provide borax AND Muriatic acid in one purchase. Borax is 80$ for 25kg. ($3.20/Kg) They also have Muriatic acid at about the same price as Rona hardware: about 60$ for 20 litres (5 gals). They also have soda ash, CYA, etc. My point with this one is I stumbled upon them on a pseudo-yellow-pages website, and I believe most areas with some industrial activity will have a company similar to this, that will sell to individuals in large enough quantities to avoid many trips to stores. For those who value their time and milleage high enough.

- I did not find borax in any supermarket in my neighborhood (Loblaws, Maxi, Super C, Metro, IGA) nor any pharmacy (I tried large Jean Coutu and Paharmaprix locations)

- Wonder if costco has it (I'm not a member). If they do, I would guess the price is ok and quantities would meet poolsize needs :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Albertson's near me has both borax and washing soda on the shelf. Too bad I don't need either of them.

As an unrelated aside, they also have that blue starch you used to use to mix finger paint in elementary school, too! A well-stocked laundry aisle for sure.

I picked mine up through Amazon prime, 12-76 oz boxes for 40 bucks (about 3 cents/oz). Since I'm already an Amazon Prime member I get free 2 day shipping. Saw this thread and decided it was time to get busy on my borate addition to the pool.

It's more than I need for my pool, but we have a front loading washer and 20 Mule Team used frequently with the laundry does a great job at keeping that musty smell that front loading washers are prone to.

There are a thousand other good uses for 20 Mule Team Borax.......I also use it as a great hand cleaner after playing mechanic on the vehicles. Just sprinkle a bit on your hands and scrub like normal bar soap!

FYI, I've had a front loader for almost 5 years, and have never had a musty smell. We only shut the front door when it's in use. Leave it wide open after done using, but after a day we can move the door to the almost closed position. Closing (sealing) the door when not in use can cause other issues as well, mainly problems with the seals.

Heh....just re-read my post.....should have said "eliminate" musty smell, not "keep"....

Robbie, I agree.....keeping the door open helps a lot....ours are located in the pass-through hallway from garage, though, so it's not possible to keep 'em open full time.

When it does arise we toss in 1/4 cup of Borax with a load of whites. Helps make the whites whiter and knocks out any sign of musty smell for at least a week or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.