Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: above ground and chemicals please help

1. Back To Top    #1

above ground and chemicals please help

Hi can any one give us a suggestion as to what we are doing wrong, we have an above ground intex pool 12 by 24 ft 48 inchs deep water is lovely and clear and quite warm. We have a good filter and have added chlorine we had measurements of chemicals fine for first two days but now alkaline is fine at 120 ph is fine at 7.2 but chlorine is very pale almost white on the scale at 0.3/0.6 any suggestions would be apreciated please
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Chlorine will need to be added daily, preferably in the evening. Sunlight 'kills' chlorine.

What are you using to chlorinate your pool? pucks? powder, liquid?

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    Chlorine will need to be added daily, preferably in the evening. Sunlight 'kills' chlorine.

What are you using to chlorinate your pool? pucks? powder, liquid?
    Hi We are using powder well its more like kettle scale!
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hi Grace I am going to nip out for an hour I will check this later ( sorry driving lesson) If I am using powder how much a day will I need to add. The water is very clear at the moment so I dont want to mess it up and have it go murky.
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

5. Back To Top    #5
    Well, it depends on if it is cal-hypo or di-chlor. I do not know the long technical names, but cal-hypo will say "calcium" somewhere in the chemical name, and di-chlor starts with "di-chlor-..."
    Use Jason's calculator (link is in my sig) to determine how much you need to add. You will need to know your CYA or stabilizer level to determine what FC level is correct for your pool.

I would suggest switching to bleach, as both of these powdered products add things to your water that you don't want in excess... bleach is typically cheaper, also.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Thanks for that I will look tomorrow to see what it contains its too dark to go up to the shed at the moment. This all sounds very complicated, I am worried that if I add more clorine the alkaline and acidity reading will go off the scale making it unsafe to swim. I Thought this pool business was far too easy!! What bleach do you suggest using? and where can I buy it?
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump