above ground partially buried.what to coat outside walls

Hello,
This is my first post.
I am burying a haywood 12 x 24 above ground pool 2.5 ft underground.Everything is going well.I was reading that i should coat the underground section of the pool with some sort of protectant to stop the earth from rusting the steel walls after about 5 years.
I was looking around the local hardware store and there is a variety of "sealing" type products for driveways that is relatively inexpensive.there is also some tin roof coating material that is quite costly.I know tar is a good option except for the fact it wouyld be difficult to apply(too thick)
I also know the coating i need to use would have to be flexible due to contracting and expanding.
I will throw this question out to you helpfull experienced members who i am sure have some great insite when it comes to matters like this.
Thanks in advance.
Tony
P.S i will post some pictures of my progress as soon as i get a little further along.

Reactions: Selenap
Just had my install buried 2 feet which is covered under the warranty. Is yours covered----------whether you coat it or not? Depends on the acidity of your soil too. Mine is hard packed red clay which is pretty dang neutral. Have seen one post on here where they discussed tar paper and spray truck bed liner! I venture to guess most are installed just like they came from the factory with not much difference in longevity. I've seen more pictures where water gets behind the liner at the skimmer and rusts and craters the whole thing than from being buried. Don't overly worry.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
I bought the pool used so there is no warranty(its complete and new condition with a brand new liner)
Not sure of the acidity of my soil but this type of project is pretty permanent and i do not want any issues 5-6 yrs down the road when i can do it right the first time and when there is access to the sides.
as for the skimmer,i will make sure i use a high quality long lasting silicone behind the gasket to ensure no leakage occurs.
I plan on using a salt water system so i also have to coat every exposed bolt head and any thing non galvanized as well that could come in contact with the salt water.
I think tar is the best choice as it remains flexable and will provide a long lasting barrier.I do believe they make a tar that can be spread with a roller.I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the various driveway sealers out there or perhaps that grey colored cement pait that people coat their garage floors with.
Thanks

Here's another idea for you if you just "have to"! They make a specialty coating called Spray Galv or Cold Spray Galv mostly used for treating un-galvanized steel in commercial applications where it has to be welded in place in the field first and therefore could not be "hot dip galvanized" previously. It is also used to touch up scraped galvanizing on site. This steel would not be painted or hot dipped galvanized previously for welding purposes, so it is coated with Spray Galv. The stuff is like 95% zinc and may be available at Lowe's or such places. Zinc is what is used to coat structural steel to inhibit rusting. I am a structural steel draftsman by trade. It's what I would use if I had concerns. Spraying beats rolling tar any day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.