Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
What would I need to do to switch now from the trichlor pucks and shocking each week to an SWG system. Would I stop chlorine and add salt to the water to get a certain level? Just curious on how to convert midseason.

Thanks,
Rich

All you need to do is install the SWG system which usually involves the Chlorine Generator itself along with a controller. Once it is installed you will need to add salt to the level recommended by the manufacturer. In my case I have about 3000 ppm in the pool. Crank up the SWG system. You will need to manually maintain the chlorine levels in the pool until the SWG is generating the chlorine. Then you can stop adding chorine manually but have to keep an eye on the FC to ensure that the SWG is generating enough and adjust as necessary. The beauty of the SWG is no shocking necessary unless your FC gets too low and organics take over. Not usually a problem if you keep an eye on your FC levels every couple of days.

Thanks. What brand of SWG do you have. Right now ther is a deal on a Jandy AquaPure Ei system. (Same as the Zodiac .. just repacked for Jandy) for $799 and will handle up to 35000 gal. I just don't know much about the different brands out there.

I would balance the water to prepare for a SWG. The recommended levels can be found at pool-school/recommended_levels. I would test the water for salt and add some salt prior to installation. The SWG will tell you if you need to add more salt. Since it can take 24 hours for the salt level to be uniform in the pool you will not want to operate the SWG for the first day. You should add bleach until you have the SWG adjusted to maintain the proper Cl level. Most pool owners need to add CYA before they install a SWG and the CYA can take a week to dissolve. Use the pool calculator to calculate the CSI for your pool; you do not want to cause scaling immediately on your shiny new SWG.

In selecting a unit ignore the stated capacity of the unit. For each SWG you are considering ask for the Cl output produced per hour or per day. You may find a unit rated for 20,000 gallons produces more Cl than a unit by another manufacturer rated for 25,000 gallons. Compare the warranties. Do you want or need local support?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.