Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

May 24, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Just started using bleach about 3 weeks ago. I tried it last year but had issues trying to keep up with putting bleach in the pool every night. I started out this pool season using pucks but my CYA got up to 60 so the pool store told me to switch to cal-hypo sticks. I was going through 2 a day and it seemed like i was having to shock way to often. Switched to bleach and pool has been sparkling clear.....

This is what I am worrying about. I got a test kit yesrterday from the pool store and checked my levels. I took my water into them last week and my levels were:

CYA 50
PH 7.8
FC 3
CC .02

Anyways I having being putting in about 85 oz of 6% bleach daily (at night of course). I tested my water around 6 pm last night with the new test kit and it should my FC level with just a slight hint of a pink tint indicating 1-2. I put 261 oz of bleach in last night and retested about 3 hours after adding. Had a reading of 8+ and this morning at 5am retested and the reading looked about the same. I am worried that algae may have started and it making FC drop to nearly 0. It has been really hot here (13 days of at least 95 degrees) and sunny. Do i need to add more than 85 oz per night of bleach? Is it normal for the sun and heat to eat up that much FC in the day? Please HELP

suboveryde said:
Anyways I having being putting in about 85 oz of 6% bleach daily (at night of course). I tested my water around 6 pm last night with the new test kit and it should my FC level with just a slight hint of a pink tint indicating 1-2. I put 261 oz of bleach in last night and retested about 3 hours after adding. Had a reading of 8+ and this morning at 5am retested and the reading looked about the same.
Can you clarify this? At 5 AM it still looked like 8 or it had just a hint of pink?

If you lost all that Chlorine overnight, with no sun on it, you need to shock. Now.

When you look at the CYA chart, you see your "min" fc level and your "target". You want to use the "target" to calculate your dosing nitely. If you find that's not enough to keep your FC above the "min" by the next evening, increase your target level by 1-2ppm, until you find your ideal nitely dose that keeps you above the "min".

If you do an overnight FC loss test, and you lose more than 1ppm overnight, you have organics consuming the chlorine and you should shock.

That seems slightly high for a daily loss to me, as we have the same size pool. But, you could have more swimmers than me, etc. there are several variables that could increase your demand. Do you keep a solar cover on when the pool is not in use? This helps cut back on FC loss due to sunlight.

I truly appreciate the replies. Sorry I didn't clarify, at 5 am the color was almost as pink as it was when I looked at the results after adding bleach the night before (8+ fc) but by 5pm it is slightly pink, (almost clear).

No solar cover, and not a lot of swimmers (about 4).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.