Question About TA Test

Dec 22, 2009
Hi everyone:

New pool owner here and I'm trying to get a handle on my water chemistry. Last night I measured my TA with the TF-100 kit and I'm wondering about the instructions that say to add drops of the R0009 until it turns red. Does "red" really mean red? My solution turns to pink after 3 drops and gets a little darker with subsequent drops, but it never gets red, just dark pink. So do I stop adding drops when it first turns from green to pink, or keep adding until it really goes to red (not sure if it ever will).

Thanks!

grantorino said:
Hi everyone:

New pool owner here and I'm trying to get a handle on my water chemistry. Last night I measured my TA with the TF-100 kit and I'm wondering about the instructions that say to add drops of the R0009 until it turns red. Does "red" really mean red? My solution turns to pink after 3 drops and gets a little darker with subsequent drops, but it never gets red, just dark pink. So do I stop adding drops when it first turns from green to pink, or keep adding until it really goes to red (not sure if it ever will).

Thanks!
It's pink, not red. And if you have a lot of chlorine in the water, the test goes from blue to yellow, not green to red. Add until it turns pink. Then add one more drop. If it gets a little deeperpink, that's the number. When adding drops no longer changes anything, you're done. Ignore the drop that did nothing.

Perfect, speedy information, thanks! That would put my TA at about 40. I'll check out the pool calculator and buy some baking soda.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I try to figure all this out, so thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.