Can hair color be stripped???

Jun 24, 2010
Texas
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and almost overwhelmed by the wealth of information here. I was just telling my wife about the site and the BBB method plus I was telling her about the chlorine myth and turning your hair green. We always believed that and it's kept her out of the pool except for the hottest of days. She asked me to follow up with a question about her hair color.
Although the chlorine apparently doesn't turn your hair green can it strip out the color in your hair?? Any ladies have experience with that here? Your help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I can actually get her in the water to really enjoy her pool with me without a pool cap.
:goodjob:

I color my hair regularly and I find that getting it wet in the pool fades it just as much as the same number of washings. More noticeable is the lightening effect of the sun.

My hair stylist told me to use the spray sunscreen in my hair prior to swimming and that will help both fading and sun lightening.

yep, the sun is more of a factor for me too - the pool seems to be the same as a shower/shampoo factor

Supposedly if you wet your hair first, it will absorb less chlorine. I've only noticed my hair get lighter but I don't know whether that's just the sun?

Green hair is from Copper in the water. Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo will remove the green tint.

Our families hair used to be terrible before we used BBB. Dry brittle and green. Now I notice no affects after swimming.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Supposedly if you wet your hair first, it will absorb less chlorine. I've only noticed my hair get lighter but I don't know whether that's just the sun?

Green hair is from Copper in the water. Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo will remove the green tint.

Our families hair used to be terrible before we used BBB. Dry brittle and green. Now I notice no affects after swimming.

Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three is a good one too. I couldn't find the aloe rid where we were that day so I got that one instead. Of course the hair stylist person said 'oh there's WAY too much chlorine in the pool if hair is green.' Okie dokie sweetie...anyway, the shampoo please, cuz you really don't want me going in to it? :roll:

I believe the sun is more harmful on the hair than swimming just a few times a week. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.