Updated predicament: High TA, Very High FC, good pH

Jun 3, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Hello all,

I have been converting to the BBB method over the past week or so and I am facing an issues of low pH and no TA. I am hoping to gain some insight and advice from this post. I am using the TF-100 Test Kit purchased through this site. It is worth noting that I am now using an inline chlorinator with 3" 99% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione 7oz slow dissolving tabs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=370374049387&view=all&tid=242927372024). Two days ago I put two boxes of Borax (each 4 hours apart) into the skimmer and tested the water yesterday morning with no change in pH. Thus, yesterday I dumped two more boxes into the skimmer. Is this too little or am I missing an essential step? I have also been running my pump on the high setting for about a week now to allow for maximum filtration and circulation. I should also note that the water looks great, I am just trying to get the chemicals where they are needed. We go into this pool frequently with our 8 month old son....almost daily.

Pool Temp: 80 F
FC: 3 (FAS/DPD 3) (OTO 5)
CC: 0
pH: ? (after 5 drops of red phenol it is a very light yellow hue)
TA: 0 (TFT step 1: never goes green, starts off pink; thus, no need to add drops to change to pink, I.e. no pH?)
CH: 250 (between 250-270)
CYA: 55

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• Cl and pH test.jpg
    Cl and pH test.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 99
Re: New member: No pH no CC: Advice?

Welcome to TFP :wave: ...with CYA at 55 you want your FC to never drop below 4-5ppm and your target FC is 6-7ppm.

Now on to your main issue, you are describing the TA test and your alkalinity appears to be zero...your PH is tested by using the phenol red r-0014 in the K-1000 comparator, included with the tf100. (where you compare shades of red)

You most likely bumped you PH too high, but not sure how big your pool is?

To adjust TA up, you need plain old baking soda...walmart sells 12lb bags for around $7

Hope this helps

dmanb2b said:
Welcome to TFP :wave: ...with CYA at 55 you want your FC to never drop below 4-5ppm and your target FC is 6-7ppm.

Now on to your main issue, you are describing the TA test and your alkalinity appears to be zero...your PH is tested by using the phenol red r-0014 in the K-1000 comparator, included with the tf100. (where you compare shades of red)

To adjust TA up, you need plain old baking soda...walmart sells 12lb bags for around $7

Hope this helps

With regards to this post, my apologies, I have edited my post to correct it. That was the Total Alkalinity test I was mentioning, it was also a 0 just as the pH test was.

not a problem...can you describe how you are testing PH? What color is your water after you add 5 drops of r-0014?

A ph of zero would melt your clothes off, so I'm just doubting the result. The TF100 can only accurately measure PH of 6.8 - 8.2...anything outside of that range would be a pure guess :scratch:

dmanb2b said:
not a problem...can you describe how you are testing PH? What color is your water after you add 5 drops of r-0014?

A ph of zero would melt your clothes off, so I'm just doubting the result. The TF100 can only accurately measure PH of 6.8 - 8.2...anything outside of that range would be a pure guess :scratch:

after 5 drops of red phenol it is a very light yellow hue....I have re-edited post above with Calcium test results as well. Attached is a photo of the pH test results for your review. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Cl and pH test.jpg
    Cl and pH test.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 98

dmanb2b said:

lol I say "0" because it is not on the chart, but that is obviously an exaggeration on my part, sorry. :)

One more question, how do I raise my TA and is that a problem that it is zero?

BTW, the chlorine side of the test in the picture is just water...I already did it with the TF-100....I was just getting an updated pH is all.

If the TA test turns immediately red, it means pH is less than 4.5 (that's the pH at which the indicator turns red). Your pH test would be pale yellow with that number. You need to get that pH up ASAP! You can continue using borax to do so, but if you can get soda ash (Arm & Hammer washing soda), it will work faster.

Re: New member: No TA, low pH: Advice?

WOW...OK...just saw the pic of the comparator...if that is the shade you are getting with 5 drops of r-0014...keep adding borax until you get PH to at least 7...that is dangerously low. You could also use arm and hammer washing soda or PH+ (they raise TA much faster, but don't want to see you over shoot)

Melt In The Sun said:
Anything you add to raise your pH will also raise TA, so you'll be tackling both at once by adding soda ash.

Thank you for your fast responses and help! :goodjob: Just a few more questions: Where can I get this soda ash? Approximately how expensive is it? And, most importantly, approximately how much do I need to add?

My pool is a 21' round, 54" deep, approximately 12k gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You have no TA and I suspect that this is causing your pH to act wild like it is.

My suggestion is to use the Pool Calculator and add enough baking soda to get your TA to about 70 or 80. This will also raise your pH, which needs to come up anyway, to a degree. Once your TA is up, recheck and adjust your pH.

tduff311 said:
Melt In The Sun said:
Anything you add to raise your pH will also raise TA, so you'll be tackling both at once by adding soda ash.

Thank you for your fast responses and help! :goodjob: Just a few more questions: Where can I get this soda ash? Approximately how expensive is it? And, most importantly, approximately how much do I need to add?

My pool is a 21' round, 54" deep, approximately 12k gallons.

ARM and Hammer washing soda...laundry detergent aisle (just be careful not to use A&H Laundry detergent)...other wise PH+ from walmart or pool store...baking soda and borax would likley be the cheaper route

dmanb2b said:
WOW...OK...just saw the pic of the comparator...if that is the shade you are getting with 5 drops of r-0014...keep adding borax until you get PH to at least 7...that is dangerously low. You could also use arm and hammer washing soda or PH+ (they raise TA much faster, but don't want to see you over shoot)

Yikes, does this explain why my wife complains of a tingling sensation in the water? Hope my 8 month old son is ok :oops:

Alright, to tackle this problem immediately.....I am on a tight budget....so, with that being said, what is the best option for getting this resolved quickly and effectively? Soda Ash, Borax, or pH plus? And how much of that item should I need to get the pH where I want it (u say 7)?

What's the worst that could happen to an infant in this water over the past few days repeatedly?

257WbyMag said:
You have no TA and I suspect that this is causing your pH to act wild like it is.

My suggestion is to use the Pool Calculator and add enough baking soda to get your TA to about 70 or 80. This will also raise your pH, which needs to come up anyway, to a degree. Once your TA is up, recheck and adjust your pH.

Alright, I have the Pool Calculator up and want to make sure I have all the right goals set up. Could you please tell me where I should set my goals for my particular pool (21' round, 54" deep, 12k gallons) under the BBB method with an inline chlorinator feeding 3" tri-tabs?

257WbyMag said:

Also, another concern......big one actually.....how do I use the pool calculator without an accurate pH reading to use? Obviously the test results have no number value to them, but aren't 0.

Melt In The Sun said:
Your family will be fine.

As 257 said, just adjust the TA, retest, and re-adjust as needed. Adding TA will change the pH, but it's difficult to predict by how much.

Thank you. I will adjust the TA and repost results tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help. For my future maintenance, what are the goal values I should be at for my specific pool (for the pool calculator)?

dmanb2b said:

Hope this helps

Pool Calculator says to add 197 oz of baking soda (approx a 12 lb bag of baking soda! :))...do I poor it all at once into the skimmer?

Your answer is in Pool School here:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Reading the rest of pool school (big button in upper right corner) would be well worth your time as well.

The pool calculator will tell you how much to add. Enter 0 in the "now" column for TA; enter 80 in the "target" column, and the amount required will be shown to the right. You may need more than 12 lbs.

yup...12 lbs should raise your TA to 70 or so...plus the borax you have already added should put your TA somewhere around 80....just broadcast it over your water surface and keep the pump running...I just checked it on http://www.poolcalculator.com
As melt says...now is a good time to start reading pool school...right after you get that TA and PH up

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.