almost catching prime

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a leak in my pump, which I bought the kit http://www.poolcenter.com/gokit3.jpg to hopefully replace.....well that's another issue, but thought you should know in case it's related to the problem below.

Every night I have to prime the pump, and I'm noticing strange behavior which I cannot explain. I close all the returns except for my closest skimmer, fill up the pump basket and turn on the pump. All is working fine, and the pump reaches about 90-95% capacity and then it just loses prime. It doesn't start to lose it, it just loses it.

If I do the same process with the main drain, it works fine (it just takes me longer). Once it gets primed, I can then open my skimmers without any problems. Can somebody explain why I lose prime with the closest skimmer. BTW, once the pump is working fine, the closest skimmer's suction is good.

thanks

but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.

jrguzmanr said:
but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.
That sounds like a good plan. Check that the weir on that skimmer (the flapper) isn't binding. If I hold the weir closed, I can empty my strainer and be sucking air in about 4 seconds!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.