PH increase and decrease and more questions

jbnt83

May 30, 2010
Hello,

I live in New England, just went through hot and humid weather.

I have ph reading of 8.2, (purple color) which I believe indicates "add acid." Just yesterday I added ph increase, and chlorine tabs. Can I just wait and let the ph decrease on its own?

Also, two days ago I shocked my 15 x 24 x 4 pool as well.

What is the effect of the chlorine float being sucked into the opening for the the water intake> How do I prevent this?

Looking for a solution to pool itch associated with bacteria.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Jim

Without a full set of test results, nobody can give you more than general advice.

Check out this thread for the information we need to help you out

Ph may or may not move on its own. Some pools tend to drift one way, some the other.

pH readings are suspect unless you have a chlorine reading as well. Higher chlorine levels affect the pH test.

Chlorine floaters just don't get chlorine into the water fast enough to keep up with any significant demand. They may be suitable as a supplement or to help when you are away, but otherwise you need to look at another method for chlorination.

The solution to bacteria problems is to maintain a safe level of free chlorine according to the Chlorine CYA Chart

jbnt83 said:
Hello,

I live in New England, just went through hot and humid weather.

I have ph reading of 8.2, (purple color) which I believe indicates "add acid." Just yesterday I added ph increase, and chlorine tabs. Can I just wait and let the ph decrease on its own? You added the wrong stuff! PH- is what you should have added.
Also, two days ago I shocked my 15 x 24 x 4 pool as well. Your High Ph could be as a result of the shock still being in your poolWhat is the effect of the chlorine float being sucked into the opening for the the water intake> How do I prevent this? Trap a string line in the lid and tie it to your ladder
Looking for a solution to pool itch associated with bacteria. As everyone said more information needed, visit pool school.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.