Need Help...Kids getting rashes...

Jul 22, 2008
Hi, I have been using the BBB method on my pool for 3 years with great results. My father in law throws 1 cup of Leslies chlor brite sanitizer step 2 into his pool every day and now the kids are getting rashes where their bathing suits are. His water is crystal clear. So I brought mt TF100 test kit over to check out his numbers and I need advice on what to tell him. His pool is 22,000 gallon vinyl line inground pool in North Jersey.

CL was off the chart for the basic tester. It was a bright deep yellow. I tested for FC and came up with 7 to 8 as his FC. His PH reading as well is way too LOW to even register in the test, it stays a light yellow color. His CYA has got to be some where up over 120 to 140. When I added the R0013 the water was ridiculously cloudy, after only a few ML i couldnt see the dot. When I tested for TA, after adding the r0008 after the r0007 the water turned very red and not green as it is supposed to. WTF?

So what do I tell him? Where do we begin? I am guessing draining and refilling with clean water would be a good start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Like I said, thanks to this site my pool is sparkling, and any little hiccups I can handle easily with all the great on this site. This just seems overwhelming to me.

Thanks in advance............Brian

Brian, sounds like he uses trichlor and doesn't pay much attention to his pool! He has very low pH, TA = 0, and high CYA. I wouldn't want my kids swimming in it!! If he's willing, a drain and refill is indeed the best way to start.

Did you measure the CC?

If you know BBB, than you know that this is a classic case of too much CYA, not enough FC and not enough attention in general.

The irritation could be cause by the low pH or by some biologicals that have take hold in the water.

So what do I tell him? Where do we begin?
Your very first hurdle will be convincing him that he needs to change what he's doing. If he does (and that's not a guarantee), then you will likely have to convince him of the need to test the water or do it for him.

Those are not small tasks......if you can accomplish those, then you are ready to do some draining and help him get his pool in shape.

yrreb13 said:
When I tested for TA, after adding the r0008 after the r0007 the water turned very red and not green as it is supposed to. ***?
When the TA test immediately turns red, that not only means the TA is zero (or negative), but that the pH is <= 4.5 which is very low. No wonder it's irritating. The pH needs to be raised right away -- adding some sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda or pH Up product) would be important to stop any metal corrosion that may already be occurring in his pool. Start with that and when the TA starts to register you can use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH more if needed. I'd be careful about raising the pH too high, however, as he might have dissolved metals in his pool that could then stain.

I would do the drain/refill dance before bothering to adjust other chems - no one should swim in it right now anyway and you'd just be pouring chems down the drain.

So get that CYA level down and then adjust the PH and TA, and begin to chlorinate properly.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would do the drain/refill dance before bothering to adjust other chems - no one should swim in it right now anyway and you'd just be pouring chems down the drain.

So get that CYA level down and then adjust the PH and TA, and begin to chlorinate properly.

Agree with FPM.

I also have a feeling that it may be tough going to convince him that he needs to change his ways.

We have started the drain/refill process and I will be testing the water again today. Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have already talked to him about switching over to the BBB method, and you are all right. The water is easy, the stubborn Irish father in-law is going to be tough to convince!!! Thanks again for all your help, I will post a follow-up with the end results when the happen. Wish me luck..........

yrreb13 said:
We have started the drain/refill process and I will be testing the water again today. Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have already talked to him about switching over to the BBB method, and you are all right. The water is easy, the stubborn Irish father in-law is going to be tough to convince!!! Thanks again for all your help, I will post a follow-up with the end results when the happen. Wish me luck..........

hmmm....maybe some pints of guinness could smooth the road to agreement???
:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We just converted a RV Park pool to the BBB method, after they got stuck in the dreaded "ChlorBrite" loop from Leslie's :shock: This was a pool that was so out of balance that there was no way that the guys onsite could maintain the water, even though they check the water twice every day! We put in a LQ, got them on bleach and MA, and got them a good test kit; you should have seen the look on their faces when they saw what the water could look like with BBB and how simple it really is!

If you can get your F-I-L on board, he (and your kids!) will be much happier (not to mention all the money he'll save not buying ChlorBrite!). Good for you for showing him the way :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.