help needed re: muriatic acid

kawfytawk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2010
Waco, Texas
I am trying to set up my pool. Bleach is in, I know I need to add muriatic acid....currently have a sock with stabilizer in front of the return. When/where do I add the MA and how? I need to add 2 qts for now. Can I do it with the sock thing in my way ...if I need to put it next to return? I am a tad nervous about handling the stuff.

I assume you have it in a one gallon plastic jug. I would remove the cap and carefully lower the jug partially (but not enough to submerse the mouth) down into the water to remove some weight and get the mouth closer to the water.

Then, simply pour the acid gently into the water DIRECTLY in front of a return and it will disperse rapidly.

When you feel like you have poured a little less than half, stop there and measure your pH in a couple of hours....adjust as necessary.

How do you know you need MA? Post a full set of numbers so we can double check for you.

A healthy fear of MA is a good thing. You should wear eye protection when handling the stuff. Pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Try to keep the wind at your back so the fumes are blown away from you. Don't worry about the CYA sock.

Hi,

Yes, sorry I was going to start my BBB yesterday but had an issue with the pump. My numbers were

PH 8.2 according to the small blue test kit
FC 3*.5 @ 1.5
TA 35*10 @ 350
CH 3*10 @30

Bama responded with this

1. If these numbers are the latest then here's what you should begin with.Add 1½ quarts of muratic acid to bring the pH down. (pool calc calls for 3½ but lets do it in a couple of steps.)
2. Add 4lbs of stabilizer either in a sock in front of a return or slowly in the skimmer (don't backwash for a week).
3. Add 2 quarts of bleach to bring the FC up.
4. Wait and hour, test pH & FC and post results. When we know what the new pH number is we'll tell you how much more MA to add.

I hope I didn't mess anything up by not doing another test this am in any case I guess what's done is done and I pray I don't have a big problem on my hands. :?
The water looked the same. and it is still clear.

I just added the MA will wait a couple of hours and then post new data here.

I have seen 30 minutes here. I am sure it mixes to the point of being safe faster than 30 minutes, but better safe than sorry I guess. Sometimes I don't wait that long, but I will use my brush (with a whale tail) to give it a good mix.

Next, put enough bleach in to reach 5ppm.

Understand that bleach is consumable and you will need to add it daily to keep your pool crystal clear.

Then read Pool School.......especially the first few articles. That'll help you get a good understanding of what your testing and why your testing it. It should also prompt you to ask more questions.

How does your water look?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kawfytawk said:
ok, wasn't sure what tests to do so I did them all and the results are as follows:

PH 7.5
FC .5ppm
CC .5ppm
TC 1
TA 310 (surprisingly did not change even after MA)
CH 30
CYA 50

What should I do next?

Looks like your TA dropped from 350 to 310; is that right? That sounds about right for the amount of acid you added. If you didn't already know, when you're testing TA it helps to wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth after every couple drops. Sometimes static electricity builds up and makes the drops much smaller than normal, giving the impression that the TA is a lot higher than it actually is.

You need to get some chlorine in there! The pool calculator can help you figure out how much.

Yes I added the bleach ....according to the calculator plugging in my new readings I should add another 3 qts. which I will do in just a sec.

yes, I am trying to use the calc. I am new to it and really trying to guess at my water volume. I could be off on my CYA test

ok, yep the TA did go down. I did wipe after every drop because the very first time I did it I got a reading of 510 :shock:

This is my very first time adding anything to this pool or any pool for that matter. I will add the bleach and retest. Do you think I need to add more MA? The calq did not say so. But I know I must aerate as well.

I really appreciate all the help

A stream like the diameter of a pencil would be good. It should take two minutes to add a whole gallon.

Alternatively you could add the acid to a 5 gallon bucket of pool water to dillute it and then broadcast that in the pool.

Always add Acid to Water. Never add Water to Acid!!!

Playing in the pool is an excepted method of aeration! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.