Types Of Floors For A Pool House?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

Will be building a pool house shortly. Trying to decide on the flooring. Obviously concrete is the most durable, but it's also the most expensive and most difficult, so I'm wondering how necessary it is and whether or not it's overkill. I won't have any kind of plumbing in the pool house (no sink or shower or bathroom). And I think my pool equipment will end up being outside behind the pool house.

Would you still recommend a concrete floor under these circumstances? Or is pressure treated fine you think?

Thanks!

I'd go concrete. I plan to cover mine with outdoor ceramic tile "one of these days". PT would be hard to make bug proof and splinter proof.

I've been thinking about this as well. We're going to build a 10' x 20' pool house, but I simply refuse to spend the money for a concrete pad after shelling out for almost 1300 sq ft of deck. Concrete is ideal, but I'm watching the budget and am confident that, with care, anything I build will give me at least a good 15 - 20 years of life, if not longer.

My approach will be to build a basic pressure treated deck at ground level as the base, all to code and permit happiness and taking care to provide good drainage. Instead of using 5/4 PT or Trex decking on top, I will use Advantech 3/4" plywood over a 1/2" PT/marine plywood base (marine plywood on the underside toward the joist cavities where there might be moisture form the ground.). This will give me a durable and solid 1 1/4" base over which I will build the pool house and finish the floor with anything from tile or stone (with 1/4" Hardibacker underneath, of course), wood, etc.

In my area, the code required 6" concrete pad with turned down edges would run on the order of $1800 - 2500 for 200 sq feet. I can build the above for less than $500 and a weekend's time. It will certainly last 20 years, especially since it will be under roof once I build the pool house on top.

JohnT said:
I'd go concrete. I plan to cover mine with outdoor ceramic tile "one of these days". PT would be hard to make bug proof and splinter proof.

I had mine ground and polished with a diamond grinder. It exposed aggregate and left the floor looking like terrazzo. Looks better than tile but not cheap to do. It is not slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.