Need Help!

Apr 15, 2009
Louisiana
I hope this is the right place to post. I first posted in BBB but moved it here. Our pool was finished last summer & really had no problems. This year we have a few "slick spots" but no visible green. I have been studying the pool school & put our numbers in this morning.
These are our readings:

CL less than 5
PH 7.2
FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
TA 90
CH
CYA 55

It looks like I need 63 oz stabilizer, 45 oz baking soda, & 62 oz borax? I don't understand why it doesn't tell me that I need bleach because my CC is 0. My water is not sparkling clear like last year. Hopefully someone can start me down the happy BBB path!

Your TA is fine, no baking soda needed, the ph should rise on it's own from the use of the SWG so leave that alone too. Don't adjust CYA yet, lets figure out what's happening with the clarity/quality first.

What are you testing with?
You should do an overnight FC loss test with the SWG off to determine if organics are the problem.

Overnight FC Loss Test

Yes, test at night when the sun is off the pool and make sure the SWG is off as well. Test again at dawn before the sun is fully up. This will show how much FC is lost to organics in the water. Sunlight causes FC to burn off, if you wait until the sun is up you may show more FC loss than you really have overnight.

Good Morning! Just did my overnight FC test. Last night was 5 1/2 & this morning was 6 1/2. My husband insists that the slick spots just need a good brushing. What do you think? Like I said, it is just in a few spots. Thanks so much for all your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a bit unusual... I suggest repeating the test tonight. Let the SWG run today, turn it off about 7pm. Test the FC at about 10pm, then again in the morning. It prob means you passed the test but lets verify that tonight just to be sure :)

As far as the slick spots, have you tried brushing them? How often do you brush the pool?

We did brush this morning and normally brush about once a week. I do notice the slick spots are not where we mostly hang out in the pool. I have 3 grandsons - 2,1, 9 months, so we stay in the shallow end quite a bit! I am going to go out shortly & work on it some more. Will repeat test tonight & again in the am. Thank you so much for the help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.