New Critter Record Set Overnight

FinsUp

Jul 16, 2009
Michigan
We left the solar cover off the pool last night because the weatherman was calling for some severe weather with strong winds, which from what I can tell never materialized. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. Anyways, I woke up this morning and went outside to put things to right and discovered a total of 16 frogs & toads and 1 star nosed mole taking an early morning dip. I'm sorry to say that the F&T's were unceremoniously flipped from the pool to the backyard regardless of their well being thanks to the skimmer pole. However, I did take pity on the mole (must be a fellow mammal thing), putting him in a five gallon bucket, and dropping him off about a mile from my house on the way to work this morning. I hope he appreciated Neil Young singing Heart of Gold on the Ipod during his brief sojourn in the Subaru!

Too funny!! I too have been plagued lately with nature's wild creatures finding their way into my pool. Must be the fact that it's brand new and all the critters are still exploring what that new "pond" is over there!!

I've had several frogs take a dip, 2 ducks sitting on the sidelines deciding if they should go in or not (luckily they opted NOT TO), the other day found a poor bunny stuck in the skimmer and today found a bird (starling or something like that) floating lifeless in the pool. It seems I'm also being plagued by Japanese Beetles, but the skimmer seems to be picking them off pretty well - in fact, I think the pool is helping round them up instead of them all infesting my trees/shrubs.

Good luck with the pool. Here's hoping the deer don't also find their way into our yards!!!

Just bop on down to the local pool store. I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you some sure fire "Amphibian Repellant" at what could only be a reasonable cost.

Now, if they could only come up with a "Labrador Retriever" repellant.........................

Last week when we drained our pool, and re-filled it (which took 10+ hrs) the following morning, I looked out the window to see both a squirrel and a bird peering over the edge of the pool at the water below....wondering what on earth was going on with "their" water source I'm sure.

tim_pool_newbie said:
Too funny!! I too have been plagued lately with nature's wild creatures finding their way into my pool. Must be the fact that it's brand new and all the critters are still exploring what that new "pond" is over there!!

I've had several frogs take a dip, 2 ducks sitting on the sidelines deciding if they should go in or not (luckily they opted NOT TO), the other day found a poor bunny stuck in the skimmer and today found a bird (starling or something like that) floating lifeless in the pool. It seems I'm also being plagued by Japanese Beetles, but the skimmer seems to be picking them off pretty well - in fact, I think the pool is helping round them up instead of them all infesting my trees/shrubs.

Good luck with the pool. Here's hoping the deer don't also find their way into our yards!!!
This is only our second season, but the first mammal we've had. It's been mainly frogs up to this point. We did have a nice painter turtle stop in for a visit last year, and I was tempted to let him stay as the pool mascot, but then decided there wasn't a good spot for him to hibernate in the pool over the winter. :lol: We too have our share of Japanese Beetles and the moles follow right along behind so to speak. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for the moles), I'm too cheap to buy grub control products for 80,000 + square feet of yard and our old dachshund doesn't catch 'em like she used to. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.