Adding borates - noted these early observations

Freelancer

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 13, 2009
Europe
Having added borates to a number of pools early this year and comparing them with similiar size pools both in volume and bather load I have noted these early observations.

1. Pools with borates certainly have a polished look about them.
2. No real noticeable difference in feel on the skin, reports on this were extremely favourable prior to adding borates due to the BBB water treatment method.
3. Cannot comment on slowing down of Algae because I don't have any BUT if the reducted amout of chlorine usage I'm observing from those pools treated with borates is a result of slowing down of algae grown then yes it gets a tick in this box.
4. Adding borates has made absolutely no difference in my waters ability to resist PH rise. Pools with borates added are rising in PH as much and as fast as those not treated BUT the amount of Acid to lower the PH has increased on those treated with borates.

Edit.. Before somebody asks my Alkalinity levels are low.. Very low due to the amount of acid I'm using to get the PH down.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Freelancer said:
Having added borates to a number of pools early this year and comparing them with similiar size pools both in volume and bather load I have noted these early observations.

1. Pools with borates certainly have a polished look about them.
2. No real noticeable difference in feel on the skin, reports on this were extremely favourable prior to adding borates due to the BBB water treatment method.
3. Cannot comment on slowing down of Algae because I don't have any BUT if the reducted amout of chlorine usage I'm observing from those pools treated with borates is a result of slowing down of algae grown then yes it gets a tick in this box.
4. Adding borates has made absolutely no difference in my waters ability to resist PH rise. Pools with borates added are rising in PH as much and as fast as those not treated BUT the amount of Acid to lower the PH has increased on those treated with borates.

Edit.. Before somebody asks my Alkalinity levels are low.. Very low due to the amount of acid I'm using to get the PH down.
Same here, especially with regard to number 4. It is the reason I decided to forgo the borates this year. So far, no complaints...as you said, the water is already very nice thanks to BBB.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

One other noticeable change in SOME but NOT all pools treated with Borates is the presence and fast build up of a white powder on the pool floor. Of the 7 pools treated with borates 3 pools are showing this symptom. I have constantly measured the Borates in these pools in case it was the borates coming out of suspension but given the amount of white powder I vacuum up from the floor and the apparent lack of borate level dropping I'm at a loss as to what this white powder is. None of the the pools were showing this symptom prior to adding borates. Suffice to say that the build up is very quick and very large. If anybody has any idea what is the cause I'd be interested to know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.