too much salt...help!

Apr 18, 2010
yikes, we added our salt over the weekend to get our 30 day old gunite pool to 3000ppm.
everything going well....
I called PB and told him, he said they were going to come this week to do it...so i saved them the step.
BUT...they came anyways today while we were away and added another 600lbs of salt, so now we are at ~6000 ppm.
this seems like it is bordering on corosive.
should i drain some of the pool (like 25%) to bring it down to a reasonable level or not worry about it?
thanks!!!

Some brands of SWG will require you to lower the salt level before they will work properly. Others are fine with high salt levels. However, even if the SWG is fine with it, I would bring it down at least a little. 6,000 ppm of salt is getting close to the range where salt corrosion just starts to be an issue. 5,000 is a much safer level for corrosion issues.

thanks!
ok, now at 4900ppm. feeling much better with it <5000.
we drained ~1.5ft (i'd say ~15%).
any thing else we need to think about? chemicals seem in balance (cya seemed to drop to ~35 though so added more in the skimmer sock)

The recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80.

If you post a full set of water test results we can give you better advice. Without that, or something else to go on, it is difficult to know what else to say.

thanks Jason...
here are the #s from our ~40day old gunite pool:

TA: 100
FC: 6.5
TC: 6.5 (SWG set at 50%, i just lowered it to 40%)
CH: 275
CYA: 35 (just added 2lbs of CYA, will add 2lbs more tomorrow)
PH: 7.3
Saline: 3900ppm (surprised it came down that much)
Temp: 84F

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.