I heard this...

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
Someone told me that you should not let people swim in your pool wearing a suit that they wore in a creek or lake or ocean. (i'm assuming even with being washed in between).

Thoughts?!

I guess the idea is that you don't want to transfer algae from the natural environment to the pool.
If you maintain the proper FC level than this it not an issue.
If you don't maintain the proper FC level than it probably doesn't matter and you will get algae anyway.

svenpup said:
If you maintain the proper FC level than this it not an issue.
That was my thought. I'm going on a family vacation next week and we will ALL be in the lake and of course, everyone is in our pool all the time - when not on vacation! :lol: But then one of them said that, so they were all going to buy el cheapo suits just to wear on vacation so they could throw them away and not use them in my pool. They were being thoughtful at least!!!!!

I'm buying el cheapo ones for my kids just because I don't want their good suits trashed from rocks, sand, grit, etc... I'll just wear my old ones.

I've heard around my neck of the woods that you could get mustard algae like that. But that came from people I know who do not follow the TFP way of taking care of a pool :hammer: I think some of them even shock their pool on a weekly basis :shock:

Algae in a neighboring pond will be blown into the pool regularly, so anything from the pond is something you are going to be dealing with all the time. Bringing swim suits from far away can bring unique kinds of algae that are not normally seen in your area, which can occasionally be a real problem.

Washing the bathing suits in the laundry is enough to eliminate nearly all of the risk. Maintaining proper chlorine levels is also enough to avoid nearly all of the risk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.