Advice on 27' 17,150gal AGP and SWG

Jun 2, 2010
I have studied a lot about switching to SWG. I have a 27' round, AGP w/17,150 gal. I have been looking at the Aqua Trol since I can plug my twistlock pump right in to the panel. I don't really want the extra expense of having to wire the pump to the panel then the panel into my outlet box. But.... is the Aqua Trol, rated for pools upto 18k gallon, sufficient to keep up? I live in the western Chicago suburbs, we can get some real hot, sunny days and lots of rain in the spring. I never really have a large bather load 2-3 people at a time max. What I don't want is to have to add a manual dose of chlorine now and then because the SWG can't keep up.

Also, I like to keep FC around 3ppm. With a SWG, if the FC were to drop to say, .5 (because of heat, rain, bathers....)will a SWG produce enough chlorine fast enough to boost the level of FC before it drops to 0 requiring a shock?

thanks.

slange316

If you have a large pool pump that you only run for a couple of hours a day, there are sure to be problems. If you have a relatively small pump that gets run 12+ hours a day you should be fine. In-between you might have a few days a year when extra chlorine is required. Aside from the relativelt short pump run time case, the AquaTrol will keep up the vast majority of the time, and it might keep up all of the time. The only times you might have a problem is when you have a large swim party or when the temperature is as high as it every gets. If it were me, I would probably go with the AquaTrol and deal with adding a little extra chlorine a couple of days a year if I had to.

You shouldn't try to shock the pool with a SWG. Shocking requires raising the FC level quickly, while SWGs are designed to raise the FC level slowly. If the FC level doesn't actually go to zero, the SWG should be able to catch up (on all but the hottest days).

I do have a large pump, 2hp and a pretty big cartridge filter (Hayward Swimpro Voyager pump/filer system, the bigger one). I can cycle the whole pool in about 2.8hrs. I woundn't mind running the pump 12hrs or more if needed with a SWG. (I actually like the pump running when I swim) I doesn't seem to cost that much around here. If I did run the pump more, would the mean the cell can keep up with my demand?

I have a 1HP 2 speed Hayward Matrix pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, and a Compupool CPSC24 (all I could afford) on a 27' round AGP and I couldn't be happier.

Been up for I think almost 3 weeks now - SWG only went in about a week and half ago though..

I run my pump in low speed 24/7. Water is super clean and clear. FC has been right around 3 when tested. I still need to get that up just a touch but I think am low on CYA (ran out of test reagent so I am not sure) because it has been mad dog hot here in VA for some time now (just shy of 100 degrees for about a week now and it supposed to be over 100 for the rest of this week :shock: ).

My SWG runs from 1a - 5a and 1p - 5p each day. Currently set at 50% as I recall.

I should add that my pool has at least 3 people per day in it as the wife and kids have been kind of living in there lately. Coming up on 7/4 it will get hammered so I will be running it full out for 24 hours prior to the get together per the CPSC instructions (superchlor mode) to help with the extra people in the water (guessing at least 8 folks or more)

Greg

No, the AquaTrol is the only unit I know of that has a twist-lock socket for the pump to plug into. All the in-ground units, like the Compupool, are designed to be hardwired. The remaining above ground units seem to have standard plugs.

Since the winters around Chicago suburbs are brutally cold, I bring all my equipment in for the winter. If I get an "in-ground" SWG that is hard wired, is that a problem leaving it out for the winter?

Also, the Aqua Trol cell produces .75lbs chlorie per day. On The Pool Calculator, if I had to shock from 0ppm FC to 10ppm FC, I would need to add 23oz chlorine gas (thats what a SWG makes right??) meaning I cound not rely on the Aqua Trol for superchlorination??

As long as the pool is winterized and the pipes are all drained, it is fine for the SWG to stay out over the winter. Some people bring in the removable components anyway, but that is not required.

It is never a good idea to try and shock with a SWG of any kind/size. Shocking requires raising the FC level quickly, while a SWG is designed to raise FC slowly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NWMNMom said:
my husband and I wired the system ourselves. Definitely not that hard

I will most likely go with the Goldline Aqua-Rite w/40 gal cell. I talked to Hayward and they said many customers have installed a twist lock chord/plug on the panel. Any opinoins?

thanks.

JasonLion said:
If you are at all familiar with AC wiring, installing a twist-lock plug and socket is very easy. However, that isn't something I recommend for people with no AC wiring experience.

I already have a twist lock outlet at the pool pad. What I was thinking was to put a twistlock plug/cord on the Aqua-Rite box and plug it the existing outlet. I guess I would hard wire the pump to the Aqua-Rite box? What type of wire would be used for that? I have no idea where I would mount the control box either. All I have is a paver pad. No walls.

DBfan187 said:
http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Jandy-AquaPure-Ei-Chlorine-Generator---35K-Gallons---Plug-in~65679.html?CAWELAID=465180895

has it's own plug

Interesting?? I was thinking more plug-in types will be coming out. It needs 4,000ppm salt. At what point do you start to taste it?

DBfan187 said:
has it's own plug
Yes, but not twist lock.

slange316, keep in mind that the Aqua Rite does not include a timer, while the Aqua Trol does include a timer.

The level at which you can taste salt varies from person to person. The average is around 3000 ppm, but some can taste it well below that and others can't taste it till well above that.

For mounting you would normally install a post and then secure the control box to the post.

JasonLion said:
DBfan187 said:
has it's own plug
Yes, but not twist lock.

slange316, keep in mind that the Aqua Rite does not include a timer, while the Aqua Trol does include a timer.

Good point. The Aqua Trol seems like a lot less of a installation headache but I think it would take around 18 hours to bump the FC 4ppm, according to the pool calculator with the Aqua Trol. Of course, I do have an oversized 2hp pump. Does that make a difference?

You do not wire your pump into the AR panel itself. Both pump and panel get wired into a timer - we used an Intermatic. Then they both run at the same time but the cell is only "activated/outputting" based upon the percent selected on the panel so even though it is on when the pump is on, it is simply a nominal charge to light the panel when the cell is not generating. Make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.