Cheapest place to buy Taylor replacement reagents online?

May 28, 2010
Where's the best (or cheapest) place online to buy replacement reagents for the Taylor test kits?

ETA: Also, what's the largest size bottles that will fit in my Taylor 2006 blue test kit box? I'd like to buy larger bottles of this, the powder, and the CYA reagent since those seem to be the ones that get used the most.

Thanks in adavance!!!

:cheers:

Not sure about the cheapest...but the owner of TFP also owns TFtestkits.net and sells all the reagents you'll need and the prices are very reasonable and competitive...Plus Dave provides customer service that is 2nd to none that I have come accross. If you are not currently a TFP supporter, there is not better way for you to show support of this forum than doing business with the gentleman that keeps this great resource going :goodjob:

I'm sure Dave will be around soon to guide you on the sizes that will fit in the box

I have the K-2006 and I buy larger size replacement reagents from TFTestkits. The reagents in the TF-100 are the same as the K-2006 except for pH so you can get larger sizes for cheap. I refill my Taylor bottles so everything fits nicely in the kit and and keep a box with backups in the garage. I also took the Acid Demand and Base Demand reagents out altogether to make room for my speedstir! Acid Demand and Base Demand aren't usually necessary if you use the pool calculator

I see that some of the reagents on TFTestkits.com is not Taylor branded stuff. I also am more than happy to support this site but I'm just curious what if any differences are there between the branded on non-branded stuff. For example, do they literally come from the same factory with different labels only or are they from different sources? Reason I ask is b/c I know that when it comes to chemistry, even the slightest differences can yield altered outcomes. There are people who think that generic prescription drugs are no different than the branded stuff and that's fine. There are some generics that are made indpendantly and some that are made by the same manufacturers that make branded products. I know that perhaps the majority of people on this site use the TFTestKits and reagents so I would expect people to back their decision up, but I'm still curious.

MITS has got it right. We simply repackage Taylor reagents.

NGM, if you need them to fit in your K-2006 box, only the Taylor labeled ones will do. That's why the refills are marked either for the TF-100 or the K-2006. They are identical reagents but the bottle size is different.

I have the same kit. I bought direct from Taylor once and recently picked up some Taylor CYA reagent at a Leslies store. It was a larger bottle so it doesn't fit, but you can always put part of it in the bottle that came with your kit. I don't think that all of their stores have the same chemicals. Might not be the cheapest but it was there, I was there, and I needed it!

Sue

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
woodyp said:
Support the home team!.........who in turn will support You.

For the record, I have just ordered my replacement reagents from TFTkits b/c I absolutely want to show my support for everyone here who's been so gracious with me. This site is truly wonderful and one day I'll sign up as a paying member too (when the funds are more available).

But I still have a couple of questions.

1) Would the 2oz Taylor bottles have fit in my k2006 kit even though my kit only came with the .75oz bottles?

2) Since the TFT bottles wont fit my test kit, what is the best way to transfer the stuff from them into my Taylor bottles with the least likelyhood of contamination?

3) DURALEIGH, Thanks for speaking up. I guess you are 'with' TFTestkits since you refer to it as "we". When you say that you repackage Taylor reagents, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you simply buy the reagents from Taylor in large quantities and re-distribute them into your own bottles? Or do you buy the reagents from the same source? Also, how do you ensure the integrity of the original reagents?

Thanks again in advance!!!

:cheers:

Reactions: BDY
niceguymr said:
Where's the best (or cheapest) place online to buy replacement reagents for the Taylor test kits?
No one has seemed to answer your question directly, at least for the cheapest sources.

In addition to TFTestkits, Amato Industries has low prices for some of the reagents and powder refills (and test kits). Be careful to compare properly -- DPD solution is not the same as FAS-DPD titrating reagent.

duraleigh (Dave) owns both TFTestkits and Trouble Free Pool (TFP). As has been pointed out, by supporting TFTestkits you also help support the owner of TFP so your purchase decision has further implications than just shopping for the best price and is a social as well as economic decision. Purchase decisions are like voting and you can choose whom you support with price as only one factor in that decision.

The 2 ounce bottles would not fit in the standard K-2006 kit (there is a "C" version of that kit that is larger). As for transferring reagents, you can pour slowly and carefully, using a clean and dry funnel if you have one.

As noted on the home page of TFP:

... And, unlike most other pool care websites, TFP has nothing to sell. We are first and foremost, an informational site. We are not in business to sell chemicals, equipment, or anything else. Our only agenda is to provide unbiased pool care advice!
So this site is dedicated to giving you accurate and complete information and not intentionally withholding information for economic gain. Some pool websites have policies to not mention or link to any competing vendor for items also sold on that site. Some other pool websites have policies that prevent referring or linking to any other pool website. In fact, my user ID at GardenWeb was (without warning) permanently banned because I referred to the TFP site, though that policy changed soon thereafter.

Richard

Reactions: Cheryl B
That is what I do with the larger reagent sizes, except I don't use a funnel. If you pour slowly and carefully it's pretty easy. The tops of the Taylor reagents just pop off. I use a clean paper towel when i do it, because i don't want to contaminate the tip. Not sure if it's necessary though.

niceguymr said:

Buying refills online may not always be the most economical way of restocking because you have to add shipping costs to the price. It's cost effective when you're purchasing several refills at once or when you get larger quantities and refill your existing kit. I buy CYA reagent by the pint and DPD powder by the 1/4 pound online. I vacuum pack the DPD jar and keep it and the CYA reagent in the beer fridge.

If you run low on just one reagent and need a quick replacement, try your local Leslie's. I paid $1-something plus tax last year for Taylor's phenol red indicator, same price Taylor charges on their site, and saved the shipping cost.

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
Order the big bottles and just make your own case..Clear plastic cases from wal mart (usally back in the fishing/tackle box section) makes great cases...Of course after finding this website I still wonder why i ordered the tf -100 instead of tf - 50 cause my pool always sparkles.. :whoot:

AnnaK said:
niceguymr said:

Buying refills online may not always be the most economical way of restocking because you have to add shipping costs to the price. It's cost effective when you're purchasing several refills at once or when you get larger quantities and refill your existing kit. I buy CYA reagent by the pint and DPD powder by the 1/4 pound online. I vacuum pack the DPD jar and keep it and the CYA reagent in the beer fridge.

If you run low on just one reagent and need a quick replacement, try your local Leslie's. I paid $3-something plus tax last year for Taylor's phenol red indicator, same price Taylor charges on their site, and saved the shipping cost.

It's not so much b/c I'm trying to get a better deal but rather I'm trying to avoid the pool supply stores in general if I can conveniently do so. I still go there to get my 2.5 gallon jugs of chlorine once a month or anything that is needed right away, & get my water tested for free (just for laughs and a different perspective). But yeah, I realize shipping costs suck which is why I was asking for the cheapest online source to make up for it. So if I have to spend $6 - $8 on shipping for a few reagents, it's worth it for me to avoid the pool supply store, and have it shipped right to my door.

BamaPool said:
Order the big bottles and just make your own case..Clear plastic cases from wal mart (usally back in the fishing/tackle box section) makes great cases...Of course after finding this website I still wonder why i ordered the tf -100 instead of tf - 50 cause my pool always sparkles.. :whoot:

Yeah, but the Taylor case keeps everything so nice, neat, organized, and perfectly fit. It just looks better all organized with the fight sized case that holds just enough of everything that you need. Perhaps I just need the larger Taylor case? Any way I can get just the case?

We use the TF kit when we make our initial call and check the water chemistry. Not only are we comfortable with it, but it makes us look good and professional to bring out such a nice, well put together kit! We break it out again after our service and show the customer what their water chemistry levels are, and they always ask where we got the kit! What a perfect segue in to telling them about TFP (which also makes us look good)!

Here's my shameless pitch: Buy the TFTeskit and you won't regret it! Then buy the reagents again when you get low from the same place. If you think about all the money you are already saving by not having to hire a pool guy, and all the free advice you get here, it is the best deal all the way around (folding up soap box; stepping down now...)!

Reactions: Cheryl B

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.