How to treat Black Algae on steps while draining?

Apr 30, 2009
I'm starting to see some black algae on my steps, I"m also draining about 80% of my pool to lower CH. Is there anything I can do to fight the algae while the steps are dry and the pool is draining?

Why dilute the bleach?? :? Pour that stuff on full strength, scrub a little and repeat! Black algae is a nasty b*stard and you need to have a 'take no prisoners' approach to even put a dent in it.

The straight bleach (the more concentrated, the better) poured directly on it will be quicker than bringing up the cl level in the entire pool. You're doing a great thing by draining the pool to be able to address the B/A - I realize that it's incidental to your having a CH problem, but this is working out in your favor.

Also, a metal brush would do you better with a plaster pool - really 'knock the heads' off the clusters! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.