Pollen???

Okay, I vacuumed, cleaned the filter cartridge(which I had not done since the yellow started) and added enough bleach to bring it up to 25ppm. I know, I know, but I figured I'd cover all bases. Another reason was the pool was starting to look cloudy today....sort of a yellowish cast all through the water. Where did my beautiful, crystal clear water go?? :cry:

So, the filter, ewwwww, it was FULL of yellow stuff!! I guess all the junk I had been vacuuming up in the last couple weeks. Was it just re-circulating around in my pool or was it accumulating in the filter and new was growing/falling into the pool??

If there is more yellow stuff tomorrow I am going to vacuum again and clean the filter again too.

I will check my CL first thing in the morning before too much loss by sunlight to see where I am at.

Oh, and here's my numbers before the chlorine addition....

CL 3ppm
CC 0
TA 130
CYA around 25
ph I think is was 7.5 (did that one this morning)

How long do I need to keep it up to 25ppm?? One time and it's good? What do I do now?

Tested this morning. CL was 18ppm.(my cya is 25) We had huge thunderstorms last night with alot of rain though.

I will check again tonight after the sun is off the pool and again tomorrow morning.

Do I need to add CL or just wait and see how much loss I get tonight??

Also, the pool still looks a tad cloudy, certainly not crystal like it was before, and there's not much of the yellow stuff on the bottom. Only a tiny a bit here and there.

How long until it's crystal clear again? Any idea?

Hi new2pools,

Have you taken any close-up pictures of what you got up from the bottom of the pool and also what was in the filter? If you could I'd like to have some larger sized pictures e-mailed to me.

thanks,
dan

(I also sent you a private message)

Okay, the water is looking MUCH clearer today. anyone who didn't know would probably think it's perfect.

And STILLl NO yellow stuff!!! Before I would vacuum and the next day it would already be coming back. 2 days now and the pool looks the same! Just a bit and a leaf or two.

So, here's the thing.....the filter was awful....completely FULL of the yellow stuff. Is it possible it was pollen and it was recirulating in my pool??

I have not added any more chlorine. I am at 9.5 this morning. It was 11.5 last night BUT I forgot to take a reading first thing this morning before the sun came.....the full sun had been on the pool 2 hours already.

I'm thinking with the slight variation of the drop test and the sun, plus my low level of cya I maybe didn't really lose any CL due tp algae??
(hoping :? )

Thoughts? Advice what to do now?

anyone who didn't know would probably think it's perfect.
Ah, but you do (or so I assume).

Don't abandon the ship that got you where you are....chlorine. I suspect that 2ppm drop is just a little more than early AM Sun. The last little bit is usually pretty easy to deal with if you keep your chlorine levels up. Richard (chemgeek) suggests three criteria for a crystal pool.
1. Great looking water
2. less than .5 CC's
3. Your pools ability to hold FC with little (probably 1ppm or less) drop overnight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update...

Okay, haven't been able to vacuum in about a 4-5 days.

We've also had some really crazy thunderstorms lately. I think we've had all the rain we've been missing all summer in the last 4-5 days. :roll:

Kept the CL up for a few days and with all the overnight rains, really couldn't count on my numbers (the numbers I got anyway.....I'm not heading out to the pool in the middle of these crazy storms)
Anyway, I've been adding chlorine daily and am going to keep my levels up higher than I used to. (I can believe all the Clorox bottles I have! :wink: )

There was a bit (tiny, tiny bit) of yellow in a few places the other day....well, somehow they are almost all gone now? What is up with that? I didn't vacuum it. Did the rain move it around and the filter got it?? Weird. Most all I have on the bottom of the pool are a few leaves. Else is looks just about spotless...and that's without vacuuming in days.
The water is crystal clear blue again.

I did dream have a dream last night that I had some icky white looking mold on the bottom though. :lol: :lol:

New,

What's up with that? Simple, IMHO....chlorine has cleared your pool

Adequate levels of chlorine, along with good filtration, will kill the organics and keep your pool spotless. Vacuuming is an ancilliary process that is mandatory when you have a real mess but sometimes filtering and chlorine are adequate.

Time and time again, on this forum and others, chlorine is the answer to problematic pool water. Chase the other demons only when you have determined that you have kept your chlorine levels HIGH ENOUGH LONG ENOUGH to kill all the organics.

Congrats new2pools :) Let's hope the problem stays away for good!

If it does send me a sample and we'll see what we could find out under a microscope...just let me know.

Congrats!

dan

new2pools said:
Update...
Okay, haven't been able to vacuum in about a 4-5 days.

We've also had some really crazy thunderstorms lately. I think we've had all the rain we've been missing all summer in the last 4-5 days. :roll:

Kept the CL up for a few days and with all the overnight rains, really couldn't count on my numbers (the numbers I got anyway.....I'm not heading out to the pool in the middle of these crazy storms)
Anyway, I've been adding chlorine daily and am going to keep my levels up higher than I used to. (I can believe all the Clorox bottles I have! :wink: )

There was a bit (tiny, tiny bit) of yellow in a few places the other day....well, somehow they are almost all gone now? What is up with that? I didn't vacuum it. Did the rain move it around and the filter got it?? Weird. Most all I have on the bottom of the pool are a few leaves. Else is looks just about spotless...and that's without vacuuming in days.
The water is crystal clear blue again.

I did dream have a dream last night that I had some icky white looking mold on the bottom though. :lol: :lol:

That must have been a "before BBB" dream/nightmare! No icky whicte mold-y stuff lurking! I believe Dave is right, bleach cleared your pool! Like the little old lady said years ago, "There ain't nuttin' you can't clean up w/bleach". :wink: Congrats! Good work and Happy Swimming!...and have good dreams!

Joyce

Okay, so I've been getting this for about 3 weeks now. :? The routine....... I spend an hour and a half vacuuming and the next day there is a little bit already and by the next day it is covering the pool bottom again :x (well by covering I mean the entire pool floor has yellow settled into the crevices, etc) It is such a pain!! I was sooo enjoying (and surprised) at how nice it was and how easy it was to keep my pool clean....and now this. :cry:

Okay, so the sock.....where exactly do I put that? Does that cover the opening of the skimmer after I've vacuumed?

Good idea about spraying behind the stairs...I have not done that and probably should.

I did try to shock to see if that would make a difference but I didn't measure just poured an entire (large) jug of Clorox in (my cya is low, about 25). :oops: Bad, I know. I will use the calc. and shock to 10 tomorrow and hopefully that will take care of it.
I sort of think it's some kind of pollen but 3 weeks??? And if it is....oye, is it a pain!

Have you noticed if this is in your yard as well because if pollen is blowing so heavy as to coat the bottom of your pool, I would think it should appear in other areas besides your pool algae would not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.