fine orange material...

Jun 23, 2010
Help. I have a 24ft round 4ft deep pool. That is maintained by a sand filter. I live in the country so when the water level gets low, I have no choice but to add water from a well. I have a softener and in line filter, however I have really hard water that contains a lot of iron. So needless to say after I add water to the pool the water goes from clear to cloudy and I spend the next few weeks trying to get back to normal levels and vacuum to remove the iron.

This year the water has been crystal clear (good levels) but the bottom appears from the top that there is sand or dirt on the bottom and is in need for a vacuum. The substance is not dirt or sand, I believe it is iron. So when I try to remove the iron with the vacuum, I have to vacuum very slowly because the slightest more under the water moves what I will call orange and very fine metal all around and have to wait for it to settle. Once the iron seems to be gone the vinyl liner appears to have a white scale on it. Now I am done vacuuming I back wash and rinse my filter and some of it (this organe stuff) comes back into to the pool. The stuff then settles back on the bottom where the white scaly stuff is. I do not know how to remove this fine material or this scaly stuff or prevent it. It is driving me crazy. Someone please help.
:rant: Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Can you post a full set of current test results?

I think your anelysis of the iron is very likely correct but your other results are important to help get us started.

Does the fill water you use in the pool go through the softener? Often, an outside spigot does not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.