Added salt to my non SWG pool

poolgirl22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
Stephens City, VA
And I love it.

Swam in a SWG salt pool over the weekend and could NOT believe the difference in the feel of the water. So I promptly added 240lbs to mine. There's a clarity and shimmer to it that it didn't have yesterday.

I can't stay out of it!!

Now to get my own salt test because it doesn't seem the pool place has a clue on that either. Total deer in the headlights look when I asked for the test before adding yesterday. I realize that if I ever put a SWG or the Liquidator on my system I'm pretty much on my own. I feel like the weird eccentric aunt sometimes...

But do the salt! It's fantastic!

LOL!!! I may just do that!

Well, here's the kicker of it all.
Got a 'salt' test at the pool store and it was 110.
So I added 240lbs to bring me to around 2000ppm.
Today I went to a different pool store and they read my salt as 2700.
I got some strips at walmart and I'm getting..3330

I should have bought the strips yesterday myself. So, there was evidently more in it to begin with than 110, hmmm...maybe I dropped too much salt off the glass??? lol!

Oh well. It will be fine and drop over the rest of the summer. But this is case in point to do your own testing.

I recommend getting a test prior to adding because as Jason says people rarely have no salt at all.

Then put that result in the Now column of the pool calculator. I've read that the target should be around 2000ppm for the 'feel good' aspect, so put 2000pppm in the target. It will tell you how much to add. Make sure all your gallons, etc are entered properly.

My initial test was off (of course! :rant: pool store) I have a bit more than 2000 but it will go down over summer.

I just dumped the bags in while I was in the pool, walked around and stirred it up really well and that's it.

I can taste it, but it's not strong like gargling with salt water or when you are in the ocean. And, the water has a clarity and shimmer that is definitely different.

poolgirl22 said:
LOL!!! I may just do that!

Well, here's the kicker of it all.
Got a 'salt' test at the pool store and it was 110.
So I added 240lbs to bring me to around 2000ppm.
Today I went to a different pool store and they read my salt as 2700.
I got some strips at walmart and I'm getting..3330

I should have bought the strips yesterday myself. So, there was evidently more in it to begin with than 110, hmmm...maybe I dropped too much salt off the glass??? lol!

Oh well. It will be fine and drop over the rest of the summer. But this is case in point to do your own testing.

Hi Pool Girl!

FWIW, we keep our pool with SWCG at 3720 ppm salt. Although Jason recommended 2000 of salt, you certainly are in the same range as if you did have a SWCG.

Enjoy your new water--saltwater is great!

Lana

I've been on the fence about adding Salt to my Non SWG pool. I think I'm going to take the plunge soon. As far as the negatives that may come from salt, I don't have any metal parts in my pool aside from main drain and light screws, Only thing that comes to mind is my covered patio is flagstone, which I've read can begin to wear with salt exposure, but it is probably 20ft. from the pool.

The pool is a 17 year old gunite pool that is in great shape. I've read many threads on not adding any chemicals that you don't need, hence the reason I'm still on the fence about this, but don't see how I could be doing any "damage" by adding the salt. I may wait to see how many others do this and what their results are. Thanks for the thread!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies, wow...lets see what I can answer..

esim-I just used the 99% pure solar salt in the blue bags. I got them from my water softener place but some walmarts have them as well. I paid under $5 a bag.

Barbara-do a search on this forum for adding salt and it should bring up lots of threads. There's several folks here that do it.

zea- I haven't hosed them off yet, but I am watching for any residue. So far, nothings showing on the deck as a deposit so I assume we are good. Thanks for the suggestion. They need a coat of paint for sure so if I get any pitting or whatnot it's a job to do anyway.

Good luck if you try this. We just love it!

esim-I just used the 99% pure solar salt in the blue bags. I got them from my water softener place but some walmarts have them as well. I paid under $5 a bag.

How did you add them again? Just dumped them in and stirred it up while you were in it? Could they be put in the skimmer basket and allowed to dissolve that way?
Is it good for an AGP w/vinyl liner?

:?:
Thanks a ton. This site is the best for gathering and using information in "real time" from "real people"

Dora said:

How did you add them again? Just dumped them in and stirred it up while you were in it? Yep. Could they be put in the skimmer basket and allowed to dissolve that way? I suppose, but I don't usually put anything through my basket unless I have too.
Is it good for an AGP w/vinyl liner? Considering people are using SWGs on vinyl pools all over the place, which require salt in the water, I can say that I'm not the least bit worried. I just can't spend the money on a SWG right now and I don't want to mess with running the electrical, etc, but I wanted the feel good effect of the salt

:?:
Thanks a ton. This site is the best for gathering and using information in "real time" from "real people"

Very welcome...
Next week on As the Pool Filters....I ordered a Liquidator. :party:

Had my salt content tested at the pool store today and they said it was 1000 ppm. Maybe that explains why the water already feels pretty good and has no stinging effect on the eyes, that and proper chemistry with the BBB method. I went ahead and added 120 lbs. of salt to bring it up to around 1800. I'll see tomorrow if there is any notable difference.

gullz, you should notice a difference.

Had friends over this week and she was amazed that a) her skin wasn't flaky b) she didn't smell like chlorine.

So, much of that is the TFP way, and the rest is the salt.

I've also noticed that while my daughter's hair seems more stiff when it dries with pool water in it, when I helped her wash it or we hose rinse, it was overall more soft and less brittle feeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.