Please, consider your neighbors!

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
This is pool related, but I don't really think it belongs anywhere else, and I had to tell this story!

As some of you know, we've been putting up an AGP in our backyard for the past couple weeks. Well, our neighbors also have one in their backyard, and the pools are ~300 feet apart. The distance between is important, trust me!

Anyways, we were working out there a few days ago, when all of a sudden I smelled something, something disturbing. After around 10 minutes of smelling it, my nose started to burn a little. I kept thinking, 'I've smelled this before, but where?'

Finally, it hit me. I DID know that smell! It's what our public pool always smells like! That strong, irritating smell of CC's! :pukel:

Apparently, when the wind is blowing just right, we get the smell over here.
Well, since then, we've gotten the pleasure of smelling it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since their pool is so cloudy you can't even see your fingertips with just your hand in the water, there's more than likely no end in sight. :(

I kinda wanna go over there and dump some bleach in for a few nights. Maybe, just maybe, it might help. A little.

cheddar85 said:
Anyways, we were working out there a few days ago, when all of a sudden I smelled something, something disturbing. After around 10 minutes of smelling it, my nose started to burn a little. I kept thinking, 'I've smelled this before, but where?'
I thought you were leading up to what I smell occasionally from my neighbors....someone burning a hemp rope or something.

The only thing my neighbors smell from my side of the fence is mesquite smoke.

Richard320 said:
cheddar85 said:
I thought you were leading up to what I smell occasionally from my neighbors....someone burning a hemp rope or something.

The only thing my neighbors smell from my side of the fence is mesquite smoke.

Oregano...they're burning oregano.. :mrgreen:

What's funny is burning oregano DOES smell exactly like hemp rope burning. I used to work in a pizza place, and we wrapped up some in a napkin once, lit it, and laid it in an ashtray. Our manager came flying back to the storeroom to catch whoever was smoking some tree.. :lol:

cheddar85 said:
This is pool related, but I don't really think it belongs anywhere else, and I had to tell this story!

As some of you know, we've been putting up an AGP in our backyard for the past couple weeks. Well, our neighbors also have one in their backyard, and the pools are ~300 feet apart. The distance between is important, trust me!

Finally, it hit me. I DID know that smell! It's what our public pool always smells like! That strong, irritating smell of CC's! :pukel:

Apparently, when the wind is blowing just right, we get the smell over here.
Well, since then, we've gotten the pleasure of smelling it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since their pool is so cloudy you can't even see your fingertips with just your hand in the water, there's more than likely no end in sight. :(

I kinda wanna go over there and dump some bleach in for a few nights. Maybe, just maybe, it might help. A little.

Have you tried to go talk to them and help them out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool said:

I don't really think they care. They seem perfectly happy with the pool store, their pucks, the cloudy water, AND replacing their liner every year or so (because the pool store told them they had to) not to mention they really don't like accepting help from others.

I'm hoping once our pool is filled and balanced I can get them to come over and 'just happen' to look at it. Maybe the light will come on.

cheddar85 said:
mynewpool said:

I don't really think they care. They seem perfectly happy with the pool store, their pucks, the cloudy water, AND replacing their liner every year or so (because the pool store told them they had to) not to mention they really don't like accepting help from others.

I'm hoping once our pool is filled and balanced I can get them to come over and 'just happen' to look at it. Maybe the light will come on.

I see. Well when you are ready throw a ball over the fence when they are back there and have them toss it back. Hopefully they will see it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.