Don't forget to watch for the Perseid meteor showers

Buggsw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Arizona
Tonight and especially Sunday night and pre-dawn Monday - should be the peak of the Perseid meteor showers.

It should be a good show because it's a new moon.

Also, you should be able to see Mars clearly as a red dot.

Look to the northeast horizon.

Hopefully, it's not cloudy in your area.

Back in the late '70s, when my daughters were young girls, we would camp out in the driveway this time of year and watch the shooting stars. Many, many wishes were made in those days and I hope they all came true.

There's another astronomical event happening this month which should be spectacular. On August 27, Mars will pass within 34.65E6 miles of earth and is said to appear as large as the moon.

Anna

AnnaK said:
There's another astronomical event happening this month which should be spectacular. On August 27, Mars will pass within 34.65E6 miles of earth and is said to appear as large as the moon.

Check out snopes.com on that one. It's from a few years back when Mars did get closer to Earth than it had been in some time, but it wasn't really enough larger than it normally is for people to notice.

Buggsw said:
Tonight and especially Sunday night and pre-dawn Monday - should be the peak of the Perseid meteor showers.

It should be a good show because it's a new moon.

Also, you should be able to see Mars clearly as a red dot.

Look to the northeast horizon.

Hopefully, it's not cloudy in your area.

We stayed up for it, but it was pretty much a bust. Saw two fairly bright ones and maybe 10 smaller ones from 9:30 to midnight. Absolutely clear with The Milky Way easily visible out here in the country.

DH and I used to put lawn chairs out at the end of the driveway next to the highway and watch those. We have a pretty unobstructed view of everything north here - just fields and some trees about a mile north. Yes, we DO have trees in the great northern plains - not many though, gotta make room for crops!

Lately, it seems that its been cloudy during those dates or its a work night and we get up at 4:30am so early to bed...BUT, its dark until around 6am now so we can often see them on our way to work (5:30)

My 8 yr old, a buddy and myself were doing a whitewater canoe trip down the Petawawa River, deep in the wilderness of Algonquin Park, Ontario last thursday to sunday. The Meteors were plenty and awe inspiring - I love this time of year and for whatever reason - beyond me - tend to do a wilderness trip once a year right in the middle of a meteor shower.
This one was by far the best - probably because there was absolutely no wash from cities (since there are none within hundreds of k's) - the meteor showers while camped alongside gurgling rapids with distant howls from wolves was pure magic - I highly recommend it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.