Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't forget to watch for the Perseid meteor showers

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't forget to watch for the Perseid meteor showers

Tonight and especially Sunday night and pre-dawn Monday - should be the peak of the Perseid meteor showers.

It should be a good show because it's a new moon.

Also, you should be able to see Mars clearly as a red dot.

Look to the northeast horizon.

Hopefully, it's not cloudy in your area.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Cool clear night but being on the western edge of the city the lights will kill my viewing.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I saw a meteor last night (Sat night).
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

4. Back To Top    #4
    Back in the late '70s, when my daughters were young girls, we would camp out in the driveway this time of year and watch the shooting stars. Many, many wishes were made in those days and I hope they all came true.

There's another astronomical event happening this month which should be spectacular. On August 27, Mars will pass within 34.65E6 miles of earth and is said to appear as large as the moon.

Anna
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    There's another astronomical event happening this month which should be spectacular. On August 27, Mars will pass within 34.65E6 miles of earth and is said to appear as large as the moon.
    Check out snopes.com on that one. It's from a few years back when Mars did get closer to Earth than it had been in some time, but it wasn't really enough larger than it normally is for people to notice.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Don't forget to watch for the Perseid meteor showers

Quote Originally Posted by Buggsw
    Tonight and especially Sunday night and pre-dawn Monday - should be the peak of the Perseid meteor showers.

It should be a good show because it's a new moon.

Also, you should be able to see Mars clearly as a red dot.

Look to the northeast horizon.

Hopefully, it's not cloudy in your area.
    We stayed up for it, but it was pretty much a bust. Saw two fairly bright ones and maybe 10 smaller ones from 9:30 to midnight. Absolutely clear with The Milky Way easily visible out here in the country.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    DH and I used to put lawn chairs out at the end of the driveway next to the highway and watch those. We have a pretty unobstructed view of everything north here - just fields and some trees about a mile north. Yes, we DO have trees in the great northern plains - not many though, gotta make room for crops!

Lately, it seems that its been cloudy during those dates or its a work night and we get up at 4:30am so early to bed...BUT, its dark until around 6am now so we can often see them on our way to work (5:30)
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Check out snopes.com on that one. It's from a few years back when Mars did get closer to Earth than it had been in some time, but it wasn't really enough larger than it normally is for people to notice.

I got suckered. Hate it when that happens!

Anna
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9
    My 8 yr old, a buddy and myself were doing a whitewater canoe trip down the Petawawa River, deep in the wilderness of Algonquin Park, Ontario last thursday to sunday. The Meteors were plenty and awe inspiring - I love this time of year and for whatever reason - beyond me - tend to do a wilderness trip once a year right in the middle of a meteor shower.
    This one was by far the best - probably because there was absolutely no wash from cities (since there are none within hundreds of k's) - the meteor showers while camped alongside gurgling rapids with distant howls from wolves was pure magic - I highly recommend it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Matt, what a fantastic trip. You made me envious just by your description.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.