The warranty card says to keep chlorine between 1 and 1.5 ppm

DWSPool

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a related question. We just had a new vinyl liner (Tara liner) installed - the warranty card says to keep the chlorine between 1 and 1.5 ppm. This seems unrealistic, since I will likely need to keep the FC between 2 and 4. Is this a typical idea - to keep the FC this low for vinyl liners?

Re: The warranty card says to keep chlorine between 1 and 1.5 pp

frustratedpoolmom said:
No, your chlorine level is based on your CYA/Stabilizer level.

Refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart and the article called "Recommended Levels - both are in Pool School.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough with my question. I know what my FC levels should be based on CYA level, etc. What I am curious about is whether anyone else has come across this recommendation from a vinyl liner company - that is, to keep the FC to no more than 1.5 ppm. Since it was stated on the warranty card, the implication may be that the warranty is void if FC levels are consistently above this level, which seems unrealistic to expect. (We don't have a SWCG, so our FC levels are generally between 2 and 4 during non-shock periods).

I would call them (liner mfg) and ask them what test they use to keep FC at that level. I will be willing to bet they cannot answer the question or even offer a clue.

If you choose to follow their advice, you will be chlorinating roughly 4-6 times daily manually or monitoring your puck usage (which will lead to overstabilization) beyond the capability of the chlorinator.

What I'm saying is this......it is practically impossible for the average person to have the time (or attitude) required to maintain FC within .5ppm. It is beyond the capabilty of everything but the FAS/DPD test which would have to be performed probably 3 times daily at least. (If you buy your refills from me, you will quickly become my #1 customer :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Again, I would be quite surprised if you receive any logical advice from the manufacturer.

My suggestion is to run the FC where you KNOW it needs to be (2-4ppm) and address any warranty issues seperately should they develop.

I probably test much more than the average pool owner, but I definitely won't be testing 3 times a day. I'll contact the liner manufacturer about that stipulation. Thanks for the input. (By the way, just received my TFTestkit yesterday and feel much more confident about my FC levels - FC was 2.5 and CC was < 0.5).

Welcome to TFP!!

Here's the trick to getting around their ludicrous (and usually unhealthy) suggestion - run the pool as advocated here and if a warranty issue arises, add something (pee, sweat, algae) to the pool the night before whomever comes out to check if your chlorine is at the right level to get it 1.5< :mrgreen:

Dave is almost certainly right in thinking that no one at the liner company would know "WHY" they suggest that level (oh, they'll have stock answers about fading and failing at higher levels, but- they make liners, what do they know about pool chemistry?)

waste said:
Here's the trick to getting around their ludicrous (and usually unhealthy) suggestion - run the pool as advocated here and if a warranty issue arises, add something (pee, sweat, algae) to the pool the night before whomever comes out to check if your chlorine is at the right level to get it 1.5< :mrgreen:
I just had the funniest image of hubby having a beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, and peeing in the pool....
I had an even funnier image of me trying to collect dog pee to pour in the pool to further contaminate it.

Talk about being in control of our pools...we even know what to do to effectively screw it up... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Crackin me up.

poolgirl22 said:
waste said:
I just had the funniest image of hubby having a beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, and peeing in the pool....
I had an even funnier image of me trying to collect dog pee to pour in the pool to further contaminate it.

Talk about being in control of our pools...we even know what to do to effectively screw it up... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Crackin me up.

That's great! "Here at TFP, we can help you clear your pool, screw it up if you need to, then clear it again!" :lol:
Hilarious :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Not a problem, I know how to fix pool issues - going in reverse is not a problem (I know quite a few ways to 'mess up' a pool - it's easy, just go opposite of the recommendations here :p )

Please let us know how the pool is doing. :cheers:

The pool is doing great, thank you. This is actually our third vinyl liner. The first two lasted about 23 years (about 11 years each), pretty typical for vinyl liners. My parents installed this pool in 1987. There is actually a family drama behind this. My mom took a portion of her retirement as a lump sum to install the pool. My Dad was opposed to it, being a true died-in-the-wool depression era money saver. He literally didn't speak to my Mom for 6 months. When the pool opened and all their children and grandchildren flocked to their house throughout the summer (my Mom's very intent), he ate crow and admitted he was wrong and he was one of the first "kids" down the slide!

My parents have passed away, but we have maintained the pool for more children and grandchildren (of all ages) and I have assumed responsibility for maintaining the pool these past 5 years. I've learned much in those 5 years, and TFP.com is the best info source I've come across. It's a labor of love.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.