Valve on top of filter leaking

Jun 22, 2010
We got a used pool from the mother in law and was working great. Installed it and now the valve on top of the filter is leaking out of the waste pipe. We have the Sand Dollar 150 lb. filter. I installed new sand, replaced the gasket under the valve and also the spring and still no good. It will run a little and after a few minutes start to leak out of the waste pipe intil you have a pretty good flow. What's our next step to get this going?

we had the samething the beginning of season, we too had water leaking by the gallons out the waste/backwash hose. We took the top off and there on the spyder gasket was a piece of sand, cleaned it off and then used a waterpump gasket sealant round the entire gasket and WOOOHOOO leak stoppeed if you didnt seal that gasket with sealant, go back and try it, cant hurt anything

Try to glue the gasket down with crazy glue gel. The recommendation for these gaskets is a 3m product, but cost $30 bucks for a small tube. They also suggest crazy glue but its a one shot deal, you need to be quick. I talked to a crazy glue rep and he said crazy glue has a cure time. I glued mine and put the valve back to put pressure on the gasket overnight. A piece of wax paper in between will help the two from sticking if you use too much. The new valves ( Hayward)come with the gasket already glued.

This gasket is already glued to the valve base and I can't seal it with anything cause when you need to move the handle like to back wash it'll be stuck fast. I'll pull it off again and check for sand or maybe cracks. Matter of fact,,,,I'll check it right now. I'll check it pump motor for hp and the valve doesn't work, now if it's a bad gauge,,,,I don't know. Is there a way to test the valve?

Bearcamp said:
The pump motor is a 1 hp and can't get the gauge to work. I tapped on it, removed to see if it was clogged and still ne good. Took the valve off and cleaned the base and it still drips.

I'd highly recommend a new gauge. They are less than $10 and are very important in diagnosing flow problems. Keep the old one to plug the opening in the filter during the winter and take the new one in the house when you winterize.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.