Inground light installation for beginners

Jun 1, 2010
I've been the new owner of an inground pool for the last 2 months now and after tackling an algae infection (thanks to all of you for excellent techniques AND theory), plumbing issues and a heat-pump installation, it's now the time to see if I can install that pool light the previous owner left in the garage.

It's an America Product incandescent item (or Pentair if I,m correct) in a stanless enclosure. My question is really simple, so much so that I' can't seem to find an answer anywhere :?

Do I need to partially empty the pool (below the niche) to install it and seal it so water doesn't go behind the light afterward or is it just one big sealed unit that I can just put into the water?

Welcome to TFP!

Standard under water lights are sealed units that fit inside a flooded niche. The cord for the light needs to be pulled through the conduit at the back of the niche up to a junction box not too far away. You want to leave enough lose cord inside the niche so that the light can be lifted onto the deck while still wired in.

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to make sure as putting an electrical light under water seemed a little counter-intuitive to me!
In the meantime I managed to find the user manual for it (actually a really standard Pentair Amerlight). Guess All I have to do now is find that screw somewhere in the garage and put it in :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.