Good Chemistry, so why is it cloudy?!

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
So, I've managed to get all my chemicals into pretty good shape, yet yesterday the pool started to cloud up. Today, I can't even see the drain in the eight-foot deep end. There is no green. As first look, the pool looks great. But with a visibility of about 7-8 feet, it's pretty disappointing as I've really been focused on getting it great. Here are my numbers from this morning:

Condition: Cloudy
Temperature: 86
FC: 7.0
CC: 0.0
Ph: 7.6
CH: 260
TA: 90
CYA: 65
Salt: 3260

I intend to bring up the CH to near 400 tomorrow and my CYA dropped more than I expected. I stopped replacing water the other day, yet the CYA dropped from about 90 to 65 after I stopped. I cleaned the filter really well today. The elements are nice and white again. I've reduced the SWG's output 5% in my continuing effort to find its stable setting.

After I had done the shocking and brushing last weekend, the water was crystal clear for several days. The cloudiness appeared yesterday. The FC hasn't dropped below 5 since I installed the SWG last weekend.

What's going on?

You can check to see if it is an early stage of algae by seeing if you have any FC loss overnight.

Another good thing to try is lowering the PH by 0.1, which usually clears any calcium clouding.

There are many many things which can cause cloudiness, from blown in dust to a wide variety of chemical interactions. What chemicals have you added recently?

Earlier this week, I added 15 pounds of calcium hardness increaser, but the pool cleared quite quickly after that.

This evening, after we were done swimming, the pool started to clear up. I'm thinking it's the plaster getting stirred up by the swimming as yesterday was the first time anyone's been in the pool since I cleaned it up. It seems the plaster will brush off into a cloud no matter how much I sweep the same spot. It's just disintegrating so rapidly.

I'll check the FC tonight and again in the morning to see if there is any loss. I suspect there will be some as I found quite a bit of green in the filter before I cleaned it today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.