T-15 Cell Cleaning

Jun 22, 2010
So I am completely new to this. I just moved into a new house with a SWG(Aqua-Rite) with a T-15 cell in a 14000gal pool. The previous two owners have had issues using the SWG and the most recent one decided to just go to Chlorine after frustration with replacing the Cell with a new one and only getting a short use out of it before it started alerting inspect cell.

From my reading on this forum and other forums I've come to the conclusion that the previous two owners appear to have not had the motivation to maintain the Cell to keep it clean so it would generate properly. I removed the T-15 Cell and noticed that it was almost completely plugged. After giving it a good muriatic acid bath I successfully cleaned almost the entire unit. The issue I have right now is that the shape of the cell makes it difficult to clean up in the corner inside the cell. I've found a large salt deposit inside there which I tried dipping in an acid wash multiple times and spray out with a spray nozzle with no luck cleaning it. Considering you aren't suppose to use any sharp objects on the device I'm curious what everyone would suggest in terms of cleaning the last deposits within the cell? Also does anyone know if it hurts to leave the Cell in an acid bath for a long period of time? I'm just wondering if leaving it in a bath for longer then say 10-15min if it may help break up that deposit better?

Currently, I have the cell in place and its alerting Low Salt and Inspect Cell, yet its currently generating chlorine at a slow rate yet it is sufficient to chlorinate the pool as long as I have the SWG set to 80% duty cycle at approx 8hrs.

Does anyone think that the current salt deposits inside the T-15 cell would have to to with the low salt reading?? Reason I ask this is because I have tested multiple times and I am receiving a report of 3700ppm for my salt level within my pool using different testing kits, yet the Aqua-Rite is only showing 2600. I've tried the diagnostic reset on the SWG but it had no affect to it. I'm still receiving a level of 2600 from the SWG.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I talked to the guy at the pool place and he said they can test the Cell with their equipment but he stated it needs to be very clean to test. Like I said I've been able to clean all the plates within the Cell but I still have one larger deposit that is inside the unit just to the side of the plates. Do any Cell testing guys out there think this is sufficiently cleaned for testing?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the issue spot is not between the plates but more between the edge of the plates and the plastic housing. I would leave it in the acid bath for a longer period of time, I'm just not sure if its ok to do so.

Welcome to TFP!!

It seems the only way to deal with this calcium (not salt :wink: ) deposit is to soak it longer in the acid :|

Excessive acid will shorten the life of the cell, but at least it's usable.

The real issue is that your water has too much calcium v.s. alkalinity and pH.

You need to correct the water imbalance to prevent problems in the future :hammer: (see the links in my sig to TFTestkits and Jason's Pool Calculator. You may live in an area with very high calcium in the fill water, ask of the experts here, and they'll tell you how to manage the issue :cool:

My mistake waste, calcium deposits. Thanks for the reply! I'll go for a longer dip in the acid and check out your links.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I have noticed that since I started checking my pool water that the Total Hardness has always been on the high side and the pH and Alkalinity have been on the higher side too.

Keeping the chemistry right is probably the most important thing to remember about operating a SWG. I recently cleaned my cell for the first time in 4+ years and I am plagued with very high CH fill and pool water. If you let the CSI climb at all, the cell will eventually collect calcium. Also, be very careful about using any kind of instrument, wood or otherwise, to clean the cell as it has a very thin coating that can easily get scratched off and once removed, will quickly shorten the life of the cell.

Also, the Goldline series of SWGs will automatically indicate to "check cell" after so many hours of run time so that warning is not based on a dirty or faulty cell, just on time of usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.