liquidator problems---HELP2

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I think i've found the problem with siphoning when the pump is off. I could hear the sand filter draining thru the inline chlorinator when power is off. I believe hooking to the bottom pipe inlet is causing the siphoning problem. With the tube removed and the pipe plug replaced there is no siphoniing.. Ive tried everything else i can think of,, valve change, etc.. I guess the only thing to do is drill hole in the return pipe and use the clamp provided with the liquidator.
Anybody used the clamps and drilled your pipes?? Is it very much trouble or chances of ruining pipe? Just in case is the hole easy to plug,, advice desperately needed.... thanks!

I used the clamps on two installs of mine. Just make sure you get the fitting square to the hole. But if it's draining with the pump off, it sounds like you either have a float valve or check valve leaking, or your connection at the pump is leaking.

JohnT said:
I used the clamps on two installs of mine. Just make sure you get the fitting square to the hole. But if it's draining with the pump off, it sounds like you either have a float valve or check valve leaking, or your connection at the pump is leaking.

i've tried 4 different valves,, one didnt work for sure (could blow thru it like a straw)
Thinl i'll try some new barbs and valves. wife is very much against drilling! any way to check the float valves other than replacing??
many thanks guys

I drilled and used the clamps to begin with. They worked good but I wasn't comfortable with them so I drilled and tapped the pipe to accept the threaded adaptors. It's easy to drill and tap PVC pipe. And hey, if you screw it up just cut it out and replace it.

If it's draining the pump basket through the LQ then the Out float valve isn't sealing off when the level drops. You can take the float and arm out of the hood by gently pulling one side of the hood over. I'd do that and check the rubber seat.

Either that or there's a vacuum leak in the tubing fittings somewhere.

For the IN line to the LQ, I un-screwed one of my heater drain plugs, and used the male adapter from usplastic. I used the same male adapter as the OUT line and screwed this into the pump basket drain.

If the pump is loosing prime, like the others have said, it's either the OUT float not sealing correctly (when my pump shuts off the water in the LQ will drain into the pump, but only down to a certain level, and then the float will seal off any more water from draining), or air getting somewhere into the OUT line. There is quite a suction trying to drain thought the pump, especially if the pump is more than a few feet higher than the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.