Introduction and Automatic SWG Question

Jun 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm Kendall from Grants Pass, Oregon. Been lurking for some time and sure do appreciate all the good info I've received. I've got an 18,000 Gal, 16' x 32', vinyl lined, in-ground pool with Fafco panels on the roof, run by a Compool controller and an Ecomatic ESC 36 that's still going strong after almost 5 years (knocking on wood!) I'm a huge SWG fan! My pool is so easy to maintain (no big news to many here, I'm sure) and get's used about 6 days a week for 6 mos out of the year. Our family loves the pool!

Thanks for having me!

So now I want to help my father-in-law find the right SWG for his 7,500 gal fiberglass rig. He's the type that has more money than time, so I want to do my best to make it as easy as possible. I'd like to find him one that's fully automatic where you set the chlorine level you want in the pool and walk away.

I spent most of last night researching and could only find one that claims to do this, and it doesn't appear to be too popular with some because of a recent ownership change and subsequent lack of quality control. That's the Zodiac LM3-15.

Does anyone else have opinions about this unit?

Can you recommend other units that do this job somewhat reliably?

Thanks!

EDIT: P.S. My FIL is a bit of a semi-retired jet-setter and about 20 times a year, he will vacate the place for a week at a time to go back to work. According to Bama's post below, it looks like I may be looking for something that doesn't exist.

Welcome to TFP.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find many suggestions for that type system.

Any system that will be even close to fully automatic will be wildly expensive and they still aren't really "set and forget" systems. They all have to have regular checks to ensure they're working correctly and they will have to have regular maintenance and calibrations.

IMO there's not much out there that's easier than a good correctly sized SWCG. Once it's set up and running correctly a test every couple days and adjust as needed is all that's required. Can't get much simpler than that.

Thanks Bama!

Yeah. I completely agree.

The problem I forgot to mention is that he is a bit of a semi-retired jet setter and about 20 times a year, he will vacate the place for a week at a time to go back to work. I guess he'll have to hire a pool man to check it while he's gone.

What I DON'T want to do is recommend something that's going to fall apart on him.

Thanks again!

KendallP said:
He's the type that has more money than time.

How about a pool guy/gal?

There are some older posts in the forum about ORP sensors functioning properly. Their sensitivity is basically at odds with the CYA levels that you want in the pool.

The PH level seems to be something that might be controlled automatically. Check Autopilot and Goldline.

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.