Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sun vs. shade

1. Back To Top    #1

sun vs. shade

We are choosing a location between full sun/afternoon shade open area vs. wooded area, partial sun (1-3 hours tops) with river view.

This will be a retreat type setting with outdoor kitchen, waterfalls, slide. We live in a colder climate (Northern Va.) pool season from June to August, extended to May and September with heater.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Thanks
    AG Pool 15 ft. round 4,000 gal. 100LB Hayward Sand Filter
    TF 100 Test Kit

Carpe Diem!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Asthetics are a personal choice but for cleaning ease, the further away from wooded areas the better. Pollen, leaves, debris, etc. Yuck. Full sun will also equal less need for a heater.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

If we would have put a pool in and not bought a house with one already, we probably would have put the pool more in the sun for exactly what NWMNMom said! It sucks in the fall...we are lucky that all the outdoor entertainment space is mostly shaded except for a couple of lounge chairs for those who want to lay around in the sun.

Also, Welcome to TFP!! Feel free to look around and ask away, these guys have helped me a lot! There are also some great design ideas thanks to others posting their pools and maybe some things you guys haven't thought of?

Enjoy!

-Thomas
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Of course only you can make this call. But If I could have put our pool in the sun...away from our trees and partial shade I would have!

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

5. Back To Top    #5
    Another vote for keeping the pool away from the trees.

Oh, and welcome to TFP!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

Gosh yes, I too, say keep it away from trees and such.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Another vote for in the sun. My pool gets full sun until early evening and after some cloudy days with the pool temperature at 75 this morning was up to a swimable 79 by late afternoon, with the solar cover on and pump running. I have one tree almost next to the pool which I'll be removing in the fall since all it does is make a mess (ornamental apple - looks nice for a week in the spring).

8. Back To Top    #8
    I'm in northern VA too, and would definitely go for the full sun. Our neighbors lot is wooded, and their pool is freezing for all but the hottest days of the year....and even then it's only tolerable in mid-day when the sun is at its hightest. Plus, as others have said, they get tons of leaves, pollen, acorns, sap and everything else imaginable in their pool.
    inground gunite, 18x38 freeform, 3'-9' w/ diving; 3M caymen green/blue blend; Pentair 2HP whisperflo; + aux pump for water feature; SWG; Rheem heat pump; Polaris 380; Pentair TR 100 sand filter; silverlake flagstone coping/broom finish concrete deck; NPTG Aztec cobalt tile; 18" bond beam wall with water feature

9. Back To Top    #9

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would put an outdoor pool in a shaded area unless there was absolutely no choice. Isn't a pool all about sun n fun? Not to mention trying to keep it heated without the sun's warmth!

10. Back To Top    #10

Another recommendation for in the sun. My neighbor's black walnut trees just to the west drive me nuts! Literally. And I thought maple trees where bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always said I'd never have a pool, now I wouldn't be without one.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by colormesummer
    For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would put an outdoor pool in a shaded area unless there was absolutely no choice. Isn't a pool all about sun n fun? Not to mention trying to keep it heated without the sun's warmth!

From a Texan's prospective I can say it is nice to have the shade, while it's 100+ outside with the shade we do get our pool is still in the 80's...perfectly comfortable.

That being said I'd rather buy a cooler for the pool in the sun than deal with all the organic stains from the trees, leaves, all the little bugs that seem to fall out of the trees into the pool.
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

12. Back To Top    #12
    Sun. After the first year in the shade you'll be wanting to cut down the trees, especially in the fall or after a storm.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

...and the pool water just looks better when it's in full sun. Set up the umbrella in the baja shelf and enjoy the full sun from the shady part of the pool.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Re: sun vs. shade

Quote Originally Posted by julieanneloth
    We are choosing a location between full sun/afternoon shade open area vs. wooded area, partial sun (1-3 hours tops) with river view.
    Build an indoor pool. That could extend your swimming season to year-round!

I love my indoor pool, but I'm clearly an outlier. Next time I move (MANY years from now, I hope), I plan to build a house with a porch/sunroom to house an enclosed pool and spa. Our current setup consists of a separate enclosure from the house, sort of a "barn" where the pool is housed. Ironically, I wasn't shopping for a house with a pool, but the perfect (reasonably priced!) house just happened to have this indoor pool. . . now I wouldn't want to be w/o my own pool!
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine is in the full sun all day and I would not want it any other way. After all, you can create shade but not sun.

16. Back To Top    #16

Fun in the sun! Keep the pool away from the shade/trees.
    :grin::grin: Yes I am a newbie :grin::grin:

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

17. Back To Top    #17
    I have a pool that has sun most of the day and partial shade in the afternoon(planned that way). If you have
    sun all day the pool will heat sooner in the spring. If you are like me, I don't like swimming in the summer sun so I wait
    until afternoon when the pool is partially in the shade to swim. In another house my pool was in the sun all day
    and we used a umbrella to shade part of the pool in the afternoon, the PB put the umbrella hole in the wrong place
    and it work great for pool shade.

With a little planning you can have it both ways.

Cliff s

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Sun. After the first year in the shade you'll be wanting to cut down the trees, especially in the fall or after a storm.
    This thread helped in my decision to cut with precision. Off with their heads !
    40 1/2 x 20 1/2 vinyl inground - 28,011 gals (~106,000 litres)
    All Jandy equipment
    Aquapure SWG; CL580 Cartridge Filter; 1-AquaGenie, 1-skimmer, 1-main drain